X

New exhaust install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New exhaust install

Installed the D&D full exhaust today, but am getting some crackling and popping on deceleration. This means I am lean, correct? I turned the fuel screws out 1/2 turn from stock. Do I need to turn them out more? I haven't jetted the carbs yet, and may not. I am just looking for anyone who has ran D&D with stock jets that might be able to help with adjustment.

Thanks

yes, don't go 1/2 turn from what they are. Seat them and turn them to 2.5 turns out.

Comment

when I first checked them, they were at 2.75 turns out. I went 1/2 out from there. If I go 2.5, won't it be leaner than what it was originally?

Comment

it wasn't at 2.75 turns out with stock jetting. If it really is all stock NO WAY was it at 2.75 turns out.

Comment

That's what I counted. I made a mark, turned past that mark 1/4 shy of 3 turns to seat it. I checked them all before I changed them.

oh, and I pulled the plugs out myself, so I know that nobody had messed with it before then.
          Last edited by albuKat; 04-24-2008, 12:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

bump

So should I turn them out more??

Comment

Mine does the same thing with the yoshimura full system. I've been running it without any changes for a few weeks now. I'm planning on an Ivans jet kit but until then I guess I'll try fattening the mixture up as well. So, your screws were at 2.75 turns from the factory? What are they SUPPOSSED to be at stock?
              sigpicIn Memory Of Troy Allen Bell
              RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
              I Miss You Pop
              2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa
              BMC aif filter,Lowered,Small air box mod,Bar riserers

Comment

Mine is a 750, May be different from yours since it is a 600. Not sure what the stock setting is on it. Like I said, when I first checked them they WERE at 2.75 out, contrary to what Arsenic said. Right now, they are at 3.25 out and it is still popping. maybe a jet kit is the only real cure? I'm just worried because of all I read about the dangers of running too lean.

Comment

Originally posted by albuKat View Post
                  Installed the D&D full exhaust today, but am getting some crackling and popping on deceleration. This means I am lean, correct? I turned the fuel screws out 1/2 turn from stock. Do I need to turn them out more? I haven't jetted the carbs yet, and may not. I am just looking for anyone who has ran D&D with stock jets that might be able to help with adjustment.

Thanks
                  Well.... most engines do a bit of that, when you decelerate, the engine may run a little rich (lack of oxygen) for a moment and a bit of unburned fuel may ignite in the exhaust manifold. That's what's causing the little popping. It's called afterfire and it cannot totally be avoided. One of the functions of a catalytic converter, is actually to get rid of that unburned fuel. All engines suffer from that problem, only you hear it a little more with a racing exhaust kit.

Don't play with your settings just for that. Unless it's more than a little popping like it seems to be the way you said it. If it does it in other times than just deceleration then yeah, could be your settings, running too lean or too rich may cause backfires or afterfires.

Comment

Thanks Slamcool for the detailed description of what's going on. I always had a hard time understanding a lean condition causing an afterfire. The unused fuel from running too rich and causing them makes more sense to me.

So basically, leave it as is... and dont fix it if it isn't broken

Comment

well said

Comment

Working...
                      X