No announcement yet.
X

Turbo My Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure you can push turbo the Kat carbs though..

Comment

probably not, but you could make a manifold and use a different carb set up (i.e. Weber side-drafts) and make it work...just depends on how involved you really want to get with it...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
        probably not, but you could make a manifold and use a different carb set up (i.e. Weber side-drafts) and make it work...just depends on how involved you really want to get with it...

You're right.. I didn't mean to take away from your point. Which was a good one.

Comment

If you are serious about this, it's time to start reading. I suggest starting here: http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-...7584078&sr=8-1

Maximum Boost is a great book that takes you through the design of a turbo set up for an engine. It's geared more for cars but most of the principals will carry over.

One major problem you are going to have is finding a small enough turbo for the 750. A smaller engine like the 750 just doesn't flow enough air to spin up a normal sized turbo. They are out there, it might just take you a bit to find one.

You have a few different options with your fueling, each with there own set of pros and cons.

If you go for a push through carb set up you will have to seal the carb against the boost pressure. Depending on how much boost you are running you could have a signifacant pressure differental between the intake track and ambient which could blow some seals in the carb.

If you go for a pull through carb design you eliminate the pressure problem but now you need to worry about your intake layout. If you have sharp corners you could have fuel pooling in areas around sharp bends or protusions.

Finally you have EFI. This can potential be expensive and may take some time to tune. You can get rid of the carb problem but now you need to worry about mounting injectors, installing an O2 sensor, mounting a fuel pump, and fuel rail. You also need a computer of some sort to control the injectors. A few years ago I looked at turboing my Scirocco I even went so far to buy the parts for the fuel system and build a computer. It's called Megasquirt (careful when you search, some of the sites that come up arn't work safe ) Some info here: http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/?...FQVexgod1QYfbQ

I think they even sell fully built computer systems that you just need to tune yourself. Or you can buy the components and solder up the board yourself.

Basically when it comes down to it, it is possible to turbo a 750 kat, it just depends on how much work you are willing to put in. Yes it will be different, but when you are all done, you will probably still be smoked by a stock Hayabusa.

Comment

i just don't see the point. The only reason would be novelty but even then its not worth wasting 10,000+ over. If you want power and comfort get a busa. Your talking about boosting a heavy *** out dated all forward weight sport tourer to speeds that it most likely cant handle, or at least handle comfortably.

Good luck man I hope you do it, just not my can of brew.

Comment

no offense but if you have no idea were to start you shouldn't be doing it

Comment

Hello,

You might want to read through this thread about a MicroSquirt fuel injected turbo '95 ZX-6R. No kit just time and effort.

Next off-season (winter) I might try to fuel inject the Kat for something to do using a MicroSquirt so I happened on this while I searched.

Good luck
                TTYL, Jeff

Originally posted by vakat51 View Post
                I have an 01 750 kat and i wana do something different with it. so the thought came to mind that i have never heard of a turboed katana. I wana know what i need to buy and where from cause i'm thinking i am gunna have to do this thing piece by piece and i am gunna need a fair amount of direction, thank you.
                Last edited by jwilliams; 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM. Reason: Forgot the link, DoH

Comment

that'll make a cool kat
                  New Ride

Sold Kat

Comment

Originally posted by redkatana View Post
                    I must disagree. Some of the greatest invention came from someone who didn't know where to start but just did.
                    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                    -Terence

Comment

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by um97ntl View Post
                        that'll make a cool kat
                        2nd that... I'm interested to see how it turns out

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                          I don't agree. How are you suppose to learn if you don't try. I knew nothing about bikes, and now I stripped mine down pretty far and put it back together. before that, I rebuilt and totalled gsx-r. All I knew was how to take things apart and put them back. Now you do have to be somewhat mechanically inclined. just do some research, which is obviously what he's trying to do.

He are some pics of a turbo Kat. not sure who's it is, but it came from Katana Planet, which some members use to be apart of.

myspace
                          2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

there seems to be some very blinkered opinions in this thread, the question folks "should" be asking is, "why not"? ...

i'll say go for it just be prepared for problems, i've never touched a turbo (yet) but i like folks experimenting and doing things outside the normal..

usually you'll find that it's the 1127 and 1157cc engines that are turbo'd, often with big bore kits and nitrous attached to complete the greed for power...

anyway here's a picture of one that isn't "stealthy" .....
                            it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

vakat do you have any mechanical reasoning?

Comment

no i guess not really, idk i'm trying to do something fun with my bike and if i can get it to work that be sweet, but i'm not gunna sweat it if i cant

Comment

Working...
                                X