V & H exhaust on a 93 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V & H exhaust on a 93 750

Just a quick question,

Got a heads up from my local stealership that this year, the cops are going to be cracking down on loud exhaust pipes. Guess the harley guys around RI finally got the right people PO'ed or something. Anyhow. I've got a V & H 4 to 1. I bought new packing for it since the original was baked. It was flattened in lots of spots and thin in others. The new wrap is fat and fluffy and was a bit of a biatch to get in there, But I got it in. Problem is its still as loud.

Now, my one and only question is weather the previous owner did something to modify the can. When I unscrew the end and remove it, its just a straight thru tube with tons of holes in it. Should there be a baffle or a restrictor inside or at the inner end of this tube?

I just wanna be sure cause with the exhaust as it is, you could put something in the end of the pipe and it would fall out the other end if it were unhooked.

Any input would be appreciated.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Which one do you have the SS2r or the Supersport. I have the SS2r. I looked at mine but could not see any holes you speak of but I am pretty sure they are there. that is the baffle part of the can. Hopefully someone else will chime in on it. You can put more packing in to make it less loud. Mine is not loud at all unless I am on it. You can buy just the new can.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I have the Supersport. The holes are on the steel sleeve that you wrap the packing around. Dont know if I'd be able to get a second layer of matting around it and still get it into the can

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Yeah those holes should be there. I wonder if you could custom make one of those with less holes and it make a difference. That is a possibility.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

man i love Oregon. loud exhaust tickets... geez
          1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

So since there were no takers to my original question... I am to assume that the V&H supersport can doesnt have any baffles or plates to redirect some of the motor noise into the packing?

Guess I need to start shopping for a new exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
              So since there were no takers to my original question... I am to assume that the V&H supersport can doesnt have any baffles or plates to redirect some of the motor noise into the packing?

Guess I need to start shopping for a new exhaust.
              E-mail V&H?

Comment

the more holes the better....there are no baffles in there, its a straight free flowing exhaust...if there were no hole, you have no better than a straight pipe that is shiney....come move to milwaukee...cops dont care about harleys here, but us jap riders, were fu*ked

Comment

exhaust

what you describe is exact to mine, so i'll say it is correctlly setup and not modified.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WHO HOO what a ride"

Comment

The idea is this:
                    The exhaust comes into the pipe and is damped by the packing (area "C"). It then passes through the baffles ("B") to the can end.
                    I think the PO blew a hole through point "A". So now the exhaust bypasses everything, repacking will do little to quiet it again...

Comment

You can buy just the can from V&H. Not sure what just the can will cost but I bet it would be cheaper than a new exhaust.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I got the ssr2 instead of the supersport because of the noise. If you could put a ssr2 can on the end, that might fix you up for a little less coin.

Comment

BP, Thats my thought as to how the inside of the can should, in theory look. however on the supersport, A and B arent there, Its a straight shot without a restriction through it.

There are no weld marks to indicate something was removed from the inner sleeve. Both at the end or on the inside of the sleeve, so that leaves me with two thoughts. Maybe the baffle (B) and the diffuser (A) were a seperate peice, or there never really was one period.

Guess im going to have to email V&H and see what they have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                            There are no weld marks to indicate something was removed from the inner sleeve. Both at the end or on the inside of the sleeve, so that leaves me with two thoughts. Maybe the baffle (B) and the diffuser (A) were a seperate peice, or there never really was one period.
                            You know, it possible that V&H made that removable..
                            Without that the packing does nothing.. (well very little)...

Comment

Working...
                            X