X

LED Colors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Colors

Does anyone have any idea where to find out what color LEDs are legal in what states. I've tried to find info on NJ, but wading through the 14,000 documents that come up isn't really helping. Plus, I'm close to Pa. and ride over the border at least 2 days per week, so I need to find that info too.

From what I understand there are colors that are reserved for emergency personnel and the like, but I really can't find it anywhere online, and I'm too much of a cheap ******* to do the mod and then take a chance on getting a ticket.
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

dont quote me on this. but in theory you can only have red in the rear and yellow in the front. as for emergency colors i think its blue/police green/fire and red/ambulance.
    Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
    www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

here is a good place to start http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin...TOC_Frame_Pg42
      the page sucks for finding specific statues though. It should be under title 27or title 39 (most likely),

39:3-50 Color of lights, permits; cancellation or revocation of permits; fee.
      <A name={E229}>39:3-50. All lamps and reflectors, which display a light visible from directly in front of a vehicle as authorized by this subtitle, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color.

(a)The color of light emitted or reflected by exterior lamps or reflectors on a vehicle shall be as follows, except as otherwise provided in paragraphs (b), (c) and (d) of this section:

White when the lamp is a headlamp, or spot lamp, or illuminates a license plate or a destination sign; or is located on the outside limit of a side car or other attachment on a motor cycle;

Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running-board or other courtesy lamp, front parking lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp; or a turn signal on or facing the front;

Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or a stop lamp on or facing the rear;

Red when any other lamp or any reflector is on the rear or on either side at or near the rear, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (f) of section 39:3-61 for a combination marker lamp;

Amber when any other lamp or reflector is on the front or on either side other than at or near the rear.

(b)Lamps and reflectors on projecting loads shall emit or reflect light with color as provided in section 10 of this act.

(c)No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any street or highway equipped with any device or lamp thereon capable of or displaying a light of any other color than permitted by this section, except: an authorized emergency vehicle, an authorized school bus, or a vehicle authorized by a permit issued by the chief administrator.

(d)A permit authorizing a vehicle to be equipped with a lamp capable of or displaying a flashing light, except as provided in 39:3-54 or a light of a color other than permitted by this section, visible from directly in front of said vehicle, may be issued by the director when necessary, in his discretion, for the reasonable and safe movement of traffic. The permit shall specify the type and color of such lamp and the conditions under which a person may drive or move the vehicle with said lamp displaying a light. The permit shall be valid only when the specifications and conditions contained therein are complied with. The chief administrator shall collect a $25 fee for the initial issuance and for each subsequent renewal of the permit for each vehicle for which the applicant seeks to use such a light, provided, however, that no fee shall be charged for a permit authorizing the use of a light that is red or blue. The fee set forth in this section shall not apply to a motor vehicle registered at no fee pursuant to R.S.39:3-27. The fees collected pursuant to this section shall be considered revenue of the commission and shall not be subject to the calculation of proportional revenue remitted to the commission pursuant to section 105 of P.L.2003, c.13 (C.39:2A-36).

The chief administrator may cancel or revoke a permit issued under authority of this section whenever the conditions for its issuance no longer exist or on any other reasonable grounds.

Amended 1951, c.24; 1964, c.136, s.3; 2007, c.242, s.5.
      Last edited by AKA AllyKat; 03-14-2008, 03:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      sigpic

Comment

I have a Red bike, and I ride around with Red accent LEDs even with police around and haven't had a problem.
        myspace
        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

So I just got blue LED's and have a blue Kat. Should I exchange them for red?
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          __2006 Kat(GSXF) 600__

Comment

Originally posted by AKA AllyKat View Post
            here is a good place to start http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin...TOC_Frame_Pg42
            the page sucks for finding specific statues though. It should be under title 27or title 39 (most likely),

39:3-50 Color of lights, permits; cancellation or revocation of permits; fee.
            Thanks! That was what I was looking for!

I guess I'm buying amber
            -
            -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

From what ive experienced is there is no problem with any color of lights but we used to get hassled about them when we had underbody glow lights on our cars if we had them on while driving. If you were in a parking lot or private property you were fine but once you hit the main drag they had to go off. Just my 2cents. that was in Washington so I dont know what it would be like anywhere else or with bikes for that matter. Plus I lived in a small town so that didnt help when the cops had nothing better to do.
              Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
              www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

LondoB5, I know in PA you can't have any lights on your vehicle. I have red LED's on my bike, and try and be careful about it. I don't want johnny law giving me a fine, but it is worth the risk until i get caught because it looks pretty sweet at night!
                Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Comment

A friend of mine had blue underlighting and a cop told him that as long as only the glow was visible he wouldn't get hassled but if the source was in plain view then he would get a fix it ticket....basically the LED bulb itself has to be tucked inside the engine compartment.
                  Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

The cops around here do not mind the lights if they DO NOT FLASH or are on the wheels (i.e Tire Flys)
                    American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

Georgia Law On Blue Lights

Here is what Georgia Law says on equipping vehicles with blue lights (this applys to Georgia only!):

O.C.G.A. 40-8-90. Restrictions on use of blue lights on vehicles

(a)(1) Except as provided in this paragraph and subsection (b) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to operate any motor vehicle equipped with or containing a device capable of producing any blue lights, whether flashing, blinking, revolving, or stationary, except:

(A) Motor vehicles owned or leased by any federal, state, or local law enforcement agency;

(B) Motor vehicles with a permit granted by a state agency to bear such lights; or

(C) Antique, hobby, and special interest vehicles, as defined in subsection (a) of Code Section 40-2-77, which may display a blue light or lights of up to one inch in diameter as part of any such vehicle's rear stop lamps, rear turning indicator, rear hazard lamps, and rear reflectors.

(2) Any person who violates paragraph (1) of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(b) The prohibition contained in subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply to any elected sheriff who, pursuant to an agreement between the sheriff and the county governing authority, is using his or her personal motor vehicle in a law enforcement activity, provided such vehicle is marked as provided in Code Section 40-8-91.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to use any motor vehicle equipped with flashing, blinking, revolving, or stationary blue lights in the commission of a felony, and, upon conviction of a violation of this subsection, the punishment shall be a fine of not less than $1,000.00 or imprisonment of not less than one year, or both.

Comment

here is a list of ALL states laws...i keep a copy of the law in my backpack for if i ever get pulled over

Comment

They do not have PA in the list of states. If the bulbs cant be seen then I'm good?
                          My other problem is gettin them installed. What I have only comes with the LED lamps and wire attached. Had a few ideas but not sure on what to do.
                          One other thought is that it makes you an easy target if you are going way above the speed limit.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          __2006 Kat(GSXF) 600__

Comment

If you want to check your state search for (your State) Legislature Statutes you should be able to find it. The search I did for NJ took about 10 min.
                            sigpic

Comment

PA Law

Comment

Working...
                              X