• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen modification help

okay, here's my mission...

i want to turn this

into this

i was thinking about fogging the inside (facing the rider) edges with a translucent candy blue. basically want it to look like a memphis shades blue gradient which is not available for my kat.

do you think it will work? since i can't really do anything to prepare the surface besides get it really clean, do you think it will just flake off? do you think i'm stupid? do you have any other suggestions?

clean it super good and use an artists airbrush, that way you can control the fade better without tape lines and you're not loading enough paint on it for it to get 'thick' and flake out on ya...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

All you can do is clean it the best you can. Maybe look for some plastic cleaner from a autobody supply store that is for prepping before paint but test it someplace on the windshield that isnt noticeable to make sure it doesnt eat the plastic or something stupid like that. Just want it to soften it a tad to get the paint a little bite. good luck and post pics if you figure out a way to do it.
      Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
      www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

I would look into rc car body paint like spaz stix as it is meant to adhere to a flexible surface like lexan which rc car bodies are made of.
        Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
        http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
        http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

Comment

You will need a small air brush.
          harbor freinght sells a cheap one for under $15 that will work just fine Clean it first with some prep wipes, dupli-color sells these at walmart.
          Then using an airbrush and transparent blue paints start at the edges and fade it in. Practice on something else first though.
          For most of my smaller projects i use autoair colors or creatix air brush paints and clear them with an enamal clear coat like krylon
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

thanks everybody for the input...

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            You will need a small air brush.
            harbor freinght sells a cheap one for under $15 that will work just fine Clean it first with some prep wipes, dupli-color sells these at walmart.
            Then using an airbrush and transparent blue paints start at the edges and fade it in. Practice on something else first though.
            For most of my smaller projects i use autoair colors or creatix air brush paints and clear them with an enamal clear coat like krylon
            since i don't really have to worry about keeping optical quality, should i try and just clear over the fade i put in, or clear the entire inside?
            Last edited by toastershakins; 02-07-2008, 09:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Get some scratched up plastic shields or sheets, and practice, practice, practice!
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

No need to clear, it will probable actually make it look worse. Like Steve said practice! I would suggest using a piece of glass to practice on because you can strip it over and over. Also look for Mojoe's post on a polishing compound he used on plastics, I guess it worked really well on clear stuff too.

Comment

Personally I would try to clear over it.

You will want to paint the inside of the shield, not the outside this will protect the paint from chips, and a coat of clear will help reduce scratches. You don't want any scratches on faded paint jobs because it extremely hard to touch them up so clear over it.
                  I have cleared a lot of clear plastic in my day with good results.
                  Actually thats how I resore most old yellowed headlights and guage faces, lightly wet sand them to remove the yellow and then clear them.

I painted my sheild solid black using krylon fusion so I did not need to clear coat it.
                  I do plan on cutting my shield down a bit this year or trying to adapt a lower profile GSXR shield
                  Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-08-2008, 12:07 PM.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                  X