Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

After market exhaust install (V&H SS2-R)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After market exhaust install (V&H SS2-R)

I have a '95 750. When installing the new V & H system the first one or two reinstall steps refers to replacing the stock gaskets if applicable. I am sorry to ask what should be such an elementary question but...

...my questions are

Is it acceptable to remove the exhaust gaskets (copper brush) (x2) per each cylinder in order for the spigot to fit regardless of the manufacturer's advice?

if yes - Should the black exhaust clamps fit flush with the enigine or should there be a 1/16 inch gap over the shoulders of the spigot ...

if no - How do you make up the 9/16 inch gap (1/16 gap for the shoulders, 1/2 inch for the gasket) between the black exhaust clamps and the engine? Do the bolts compensate for this?

Originally posted by usmcnixox View Post
    I have a '95 750. When installing the new V & H system the first one or two reinstall steps refers to replacing the stock gaskets if applicable. I am sorry to ask what should be such an elementary question but...

...my questions are

Is it acceptable to remove the exhaust gaskets (copper brush) (x2) per each cylinder in order for the spigot to fit regardless of the manufacturer's advice?

if yes - Should the black exhaust clamps fit flush with the enigine or should there be a 1/16 inch gap over the shoulders of the spigot ...

if no - How do you make up the 9/16 inch gap (1/16 gap for the shoulders, 1/2 inch for the gasket) between the black exhaust clamps and the engine? Do the bolts compensate for this?
    No there should be a little gap between the clamps and the head. Thus giving you flex room. How ever yes the ends of your header pipes should fit snugly into the head ports.

Semper Fi
    It does not matter what you ride as long as it has two wheels and at least one on the ground!

Comment

Did they tell you to re-jet the carbs?

Comment

Not yet,

First things first. I have to get it to keep it running once I put it into gear. It dies when I shift from neutral to first. Plus it's running like S%@#, but it had sat for six months, so I've got some gumshoeing to get into.

Then I will get to the carbs and then the 520 upgrade, new brake lines and brakes.

Comment

Gotta have the copper gaskets in place . Hardware that comes with the new pipe works MUCH different , AND easier than the stock one . The gap between the mounting plate and head is fine . It's the copper gasket that keeps it from leaking anyway . That plate just pulls the pipe towards the head , it's not supposed to do anything else .
          You'll wanna at LEAST get to the pilot screws and set them . Otherwise it ain't gonna wanna run so well , and probably won't idle . Go ahead and take the carbs off of there now and get to cleaning , since they need it anyway . You ain't going anywhere anyway . And it sounds like you'll need to adjust the clutch .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

+1 on what MD says, carbs first before anything. The carbs are the root of all your issues. I hate to burst your bubble but a 520 conversion is pointless and will hurt you more then it helps you.
            Not yet,

First things first. I have to get it to keep it running once I put it into gear. It dies when I shift from neutral to first. Plus it's running like S%@#, but it had sat for six months, so I've got some gumshoeing to get into.

Then I will get to the carbs and then the 520 upgrade, new brake lines and brakes.
            Last edited by arsenic; 12-24-2007, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Not yet,

Check your saftey switch on your kick stand it may not be dissingaging fully there for causeing it to cut off when put into gear. Had the same exact problem and that was the demon.
              It does not matter what you ride as long as it has two wheels and at least one on the ground!

Comment

Roger that guys... Will post more after this weekend. I'll get some free time to tinker. I truly appreciate your input. Keep it coming.

Comment

OK, update time, I have sucessfully installed the exhaust system. Actually the job was rather easy. For my next magic trick I will rejet the carbs. Sounds intimidating. Those should be coming via my hot mail carrier this week. I am looking at a stage one with a K & N.

Comment

thats a BIG mistake right there. Is your jet kit DynoJet? And go with a K&N nothing, OEM air filter. DJ is a really bad kit, I'd go with Factory Pro. I wished you had asked this before you spent money on this.

Comment

What is dynamic difference between the two?

Comment

You can make the DJ kit work . It's what I have , and it's working just fine . Of course , I have no insight into any OTHER kits on my bike .
                        But yeah , skip the K&N . I went back to the stock , and was pleased .
                        Jey kit ain't THAT hard . Toughest part is getting the brass EPA plugs out . The rest is CAKE .

Comment

tuning a DJ kit is a frigin nightmare. If you have a problem, just call DJ and see what they say. They don't have a frigin' clue.

Comment

True , they have NO clue . I've talked to them . But it CAN work . Just takes maybe a little more fiddling .

Comment

like md said you can get it to work. I got my '92 750 to work just fine with k&n pods and a vance and hines ss2r system. got to make sure all your carb stuff is in proper condition. i can tell you my old setup if i remember, just pm me.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
                              X