X

98+ Exhaust Swap on Pre-600 DONE....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ Exhaust Swap on Pre-600 DONE....

Will try to take some completed pics tonight. Didn't feel like it last night, was watching TV, drinking beer, and working on the bike......

So I swapped the 2006 Kat 600 Oil Pan and pickup onto my 91 600.

I ended up ordering new bolts (cheap insurance). Now I don't know if post 98 Kat's already come with regular hex head bolts on the oil pan, but the factory bolts on my 91 600 were allen head. The replacment bolts were M6 hex heads....and these were Suzuki bolts. If you want to replace bolts, save some time and go to the Hardware store. Lowe's had some M6 bolts for around .50 each. They had the correct lengths as well.

The pre-600 pickup you have to take the screen off to get to the 2nd bolt. I don't think that would have been such an issue, if I hadn't of been drinking at the same time. LOL

The 98+ pickup has two bolts on the outside. It's a straight bolt in.

For those who dented the collector on a 98+ header to clear a pre-98 oil pan...what did you do? Run the header over with a truck? Would have taken me longer to dent the thing than swap pans.

The exhaust bolts for 98+ are a tad longer. Again hit the hardware store. Exhaust bolts are M8 1.50 not 1.0.

Pre 98 header = 35mm

98+ header = 25mm

The flangers on the headers make the difference.

After installing the pan, replacing the oil filter and adding the filter magnet (thanks CP) got the header bolted up and installed the new-to-me Scorpion slip-on. As I tried to figure out a way to hang the can, I looked at the insulated pipe hangar that someone on here used...but I wanted to use the stock mount / hole location where the pre-600 exhaust originally bolted up...ended up using some 3/4" galvanized strapping. Looks pretty good, I think I'll work on bending up a piece of stainless. But it's solid and works well.

Sound is WICKED!!!! Not too loud, not too quiet. Sounds great about 8K RPM!!! My son says it "Really sounds like a motorcycle now......"

I know it's all in my head, but throttle response at lower RPM's seemed better.

Also nice to be able to see / clean / adjust my chain without dealing with the LH muffler.

When installing the Fumoto valve, as CP has noted, you have to grind the ridge down on the 98+ pan to be able to tighten the Fumoto and get to the Valve. Dremel + cut off wheel then some smoothing worked okay.

As for trimming the belly pan....one of the tubes (I'll say tube #3 from memory) does slightly hit. But the heat from the pipe nicely clearanced itself and it looks factory LOL.....not hacked.

NOTE TO SELF: When warming the bike up after installing anti-seize on the header bolts.....write yourself a note so you don't start wondering where the heck all the smoke is coming from.

I also went to the synthetic 5W-40 Rotella from 15W-40 dino Rotella. We'll see how it goes, but the bike actually seemed to warm up faster.......again could be in my head.

I've got a Bandit 1200 rear shock on the way, and with the addition of some longer spacers in the front forks, I think the suspension will be much happier, especially riding two up.

Total Cost was pretty cheap...guess I got lucky:

- Used Scorpion Slip-on in perfect shape $100
    - 98+ oil pan and pickup $20
    - Bolts , strapping, muffler connector etc $30

Chris

Yeah , the stock bolts for the pre are allens . I just replaced a couple a few months back .
    And THAT was the biggest part of the full pipe I liked .... easy access to the chain . PITA with the twice pipes , even though they look better .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing how hung your can. I did the same swap on my pre.

Comment

I used one of these to hang the can on mine. Your results may vary for the fit... but it cost about $3 at Lowes.

No melting or warping from the metal yet, and we have about 500 miles on it now.

I had tried using plasti-dip, but it stuck to the can instead of the metal.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I bought that same one. I got a 4". It seems to small but I haven't had a lot of time to fight w/ it.

Comment

It will fit over the can with a little encouragement.... then I used a bolt, nut and washer that I had laying around to tighten things up. I think I also drilled out one of the holes to fit the stock mounting position.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I bought the same hangar you pictured. I couldn't get it so fit like I wanted it to...I want to use the original muffler mount.

So as a stop gap, I used some 3/4" steel strapping

I'm going to make something out of stainless to clean it up.

The mount is very solid.

Comment

I was worried about the strap nicking up the can... but I used the same stuff in my first attempt with the plasti-dip.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

bookmarked! thanks for the elaboration
                  1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    I was worried about the strap nicking up the can... but I used the same stuff in my first attempt with the plasti-dip.

That "markings" around the strap are where I polished the can a bit with the strapping already installed.

Right now, my buddy is trying to find a piece of stainless. The plan is to use some paper / cardboard and make a template of the can (it's oval) bend the stainless, then bolt it up to the stock muffler mount.

Comment

Well, I'm too cheap to do it... but most manufacturers will actually sell you the real clamp for about $20.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

if the bandit shock doesn't do the trick, I have a hayabusa shock here. (that's what the bandit guys upgrade the bandits to anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                          Well, I'm too cheap to do it... but most manufacturers will actually sell you the real clamp for about $20.
                          Not Scorpion. With shipping direct from them in the UK, try $65!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I found this site. Looks like it has a bunch of cheap options:

Comment

Working...
                            X