Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My exhaust is being delivered tonight and I need an opinion.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"extremely tight" isn't torqued....
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I ordered new gaskets. I should have them by Monday. Hopefully that will solve the problem. The bolts I have in now are much tighter than the ones I removed when I took the stock header off.

Comment

Originally posted by brez24 View Post
        I ordered new gaskets. I should have them by Monday. Hopefully that will solve the problem. The bolts I have in now are much tighter than the ones I removed when I took the stock header off.
        Can anyone actually confirm whether or not the exhaust manifold bolts are different lenghts on the pre-98 vs. post-98?

I checked online and they are different part #'s, but that really doesn't mean anything.

If the bolts you used are too short, they might not be catching enough thread to pull the flange tight...

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
          Can anyone actually confirm whether or not the exhaust manifold bolts are different lenghts on the pre-98 vs. post-98?

I checked online and they are different part #'s, but that really doesn't mean anything.

If the bolts you used are too short, they might not be catching enough thread to pull the flange tight...

I had the stock bolts as tight as I could get them and the flanges were still able to wiggle. I came across this thread and it worked for me.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Comment

OK, I put the new gaskets on and tightened the bolts properly. The bike sounds great (never noticed how loud the actual engine was). Now I can't keep it running w/o leaving a little choke on or constantly revving it. Even after it's been running for over 10min. Could the air flow have changed from the old header to the 98+? It will also rev up and down at some points on its own.

Comment

Working...
            X