X

Biggest rear wheel size.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest rear wheel size.

I was wondering how big a rear wheel you can fit on a '99 Kat? Funny I haven't found that question around here... Or is it too obvious

160/60/ZR17
    That's the biggest size you can safely use, I heard of 180 tires on a Kat, but 160 is the biggest you should go.

Comment

Comment

After reading some additional postings... I should re-phrase my question: What is the widest rim size and tire I can fit on my '99 Katana? Meaning, I don't want to put a 170 tire on the stock rim. But have a rim back there that can handle the 170 tire. Eyeballing it, it looks like there should be plenty of space for the bigger tire.

My main reason for this question is that I'm researching a rim mod. I don't really have a problem with a 160 tire, but it's easier to get high-end rims in the wider sizes.

With the appropriate rim size, I should be able to go 170 and keep most if not all my handling. Yes, it is harder to learn with a wider tire, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Right?

Originally posted by arsenic1016
        160/60/ZR17
        That's the biggest size you can safely use, I heard of 180 tires on a Kat, but 160 is the biggest you should go.

Comment

It looks like a 5 inch should be easy on a 98+. Even chain alignment and wheel alignment should be easy. A 5.5 would be a squeeze and you'd have some adapting to get the chain alignment right.

Comment

do you know what the stock width of a pre '98 rear rim is? i was wondering how big i could go without changing that rim.

Comment

pre 98 is 4.0, 98+ is 4.5 you can't go 160/60 safely on a pre rim, you need a 150.

Comment

What's the biggest tire you can safely go with a 4.5" rim? Thanks for your AWESOME info!

pre 98 is 4.0, 98+ is 4.5 you can't go 160/60 safely on a pre rim, you need a 150.

Comment

160/60/ZR17

Comment

Dang, I'm just not going to get any higher than that tire size am I?

Okay, any chance of finding a magnesium/carbon rims for my '99 Kat.. Having a terrible time finding them...

160/60/ZR17

Comment

Don't. It wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

What? The bigger wheel size or the Magnesium/Carbon? I think I'm S.O.L. anyway since everything I've looked at starts at 5.5" for the rear....

Originally posted by KickItJP
                        Don't. It wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

people on here will say don't do it, and I'm with them cause the handling will be adversely affected, but I haven't got a clue by how much though... but what I do know about skinnier rear tires is that they give your bike a little more agility... I've been on a 130/70 (ninja500), a 150/60 (98 kat), a 180/55 (07 ZZR) and a 190/50 (r1)....

as a bit of info... the ninja500, though a bit top heavy, did good in the corners (with crap BRICKstones) , while the kat w/metzlers was a great cornering bike for me to learn on..

there's a pic somehwere on here of a Kat 1130 that puts out GOBS of torque runnin a 160 at a track...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I'm saying don't do it for the Mag/Carbon wheels....WAY WAY too expensive for our bikes and application.

I'd definitely get 160 tires for your 4.5 rim.

Comment

Not necessarily... What if there's a fire-sale on a site? eBay HAS been known to have some deals here/there

The Mag/Carbon wheel mod is a long-term goal and if I can score a great deal on them, then why not? Good things come to those who wait

My bigger issue is where I can get compatible wheels... Everything seems to be made for superbikes of today. My bike isn't THAT old

Originally posted by KickItJP
                              I'm saying don't do it for the Mag/Carbon wheels....WAY WAY too expensive for our bikes and application.

I'd definitely get 160 tires for your 4.5 rim.

Comment

Working...
                              X