X

Vance & Hines SS2R - tell if the Baffle Has Been removed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vance & Hines SS2R - tell if the Baffle Has Been removed

I bought a used SS2R and it appears that the baffle was removed. I can see straight through it. Are you supposed to be able to see through it? There is NO restriction of the exhaust.

There is an approximately 6" piece of pipe inside at either end. These go into a chamber that looks like a larger diameter pipe with very small holes drilled in it. (I'm thinking this is just the heat shield part of it?)

So, with no pics, what do you guys think? Has this been gutted?
    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

I guess what I'm seeing on the inside could be this baffle on the far right.

Would I just see the inside of this with the short smaller diameter inlet and exit pipes sticking into the inside of this?
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Comment

Well, I guess it was a baffle. I put the slip-on on and took a test ride. Cruising it is pretty mild with a little throatier sound. It's a little louder than stock, but not tons.

It sounds great with a throttle blip though!
      -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Comment

no you should be able to see through the muffler all the way. the walls on the inside should be perferated.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

baffle

i just put that same pipe on my bike. i got it brand new and there was no baffle. thats just the way they made that pipe. if you havent heard it yet, youll be suprised at how quiet it is at idle...not much louder than stock. when you open it up it sounds great though.

hope you enjoy it. i love mine.

Comment

Re: baffle

Originally posted by mwysienski
            If you havent heard it yet, you'll be surprised at how quiet it is at idle...not much louder than stock. when you open it up it sounds great though.

+1. I was REALLY surprised by how quiet it was at idle. I agree that it sounds great opened up though! I'm very pleased with it.

I was just concerned with the internals because I did not expect the straight-through design!
            -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Comment

all the aftermarker exhausts I have seen...yoshi, vance and hines, two brothers, kerker, and quite a bit more they are all straight through design, for the most part. all that is in those pipes is a fiberglass mat that all aftermarket exhausts have to eventually be repacked, however there is one brand out there that claims otherwise. stock doesn't have to be repacked because they use metal baffling

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

yeah Scorpion claims to never need to be repacked either.

Comment

repacking

how much does it cost to get the exhaust repacked? and how often do you have to do it?... mileage wise

Comment

i've got examples of both completely hollowed out, and a new ss2r.... the unmolested one sounds way better, imo, but the hollow one got alot more attention.... you could hear me a mile away...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Re: repacking

Originally posted by stevens4life2
                      how much does it cost to get the exhaust repacked? and how often do you have to do it?... mileage wise
                      I found an entire replacement baffle (the interior metal part from the pic above) wrapped in the packing material from V&H for around $35-40 dollars.

As for how often, I bought mine used, so there was no documentation and the V&H website kind of sucks. So, I don't know how often they suggest repacking.
                      -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Comment

I've read every couple of years , and packing material can be had for $10 . MAY need a drill and pop rivets if there are no screws on the can . I got luck and mine has screws .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah, my V&H SS2R can has TORX screws holding on the outlet plate.
                          -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Comment

Re: baffle

Originally posted by mharrison
                            Originally posted by mwysienski
                            If you havent heard it yet, you'll be surprised at how quiet it is at idle...not much louder than stock. when you open it up it sounds great though.

+1. I was REALLY surprised by how quiet it was at idle. I agree that it sounds great opened up though! I'm very pleased with it.

I was just concerned with the internals because I did not expect the straight-through design!
                            i just did some messing around with my muffler 'cause i wanted a bit more volume out of it. turns out you can take out the fiberglass packing very easily. you only have to take out the four allen bolts at the end. when you pull out the baffle (i guess you'd call it), you'll see the fiberglass surrounding the area where the baffle was. if your muffler's not old as hell, you should be able to pull it out in one piece. i would recommend that in case you want to put it back. then, just slip the baffle with the rear cover back on. your done.

you'll have the same basic sound as before but a tiny louder at idle/cruise and a handful louder at open throttle.

this only gets to the back chamber, which is about 4/5ths of the whole thing. if you want to get to the front, you'll have to take the muffler off. and if youre tryin to get crazy loud, you could drill a few holes in the separating wall...just make sure you have a plan to cover them up if you dont like the results. i actually, brainstormed covering them with quarters before i decided not to do it at all.

sorry i have no pictures. i was too excited to get the thing back together so i could hear it. i will not be putting that stuff back in. i finally sound as good as my roomate with his drilled out stock exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                            X