Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What type of plastic is the headlight housing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of plastic is the headlight housing?

Fixing up a crashed Katana 750 (post-98), and I'm just about done. Really the only thing left before I can at least get it all together is fixing the headlight housing.

All that's wrong with it, is the 2 bottom posts that screw into the support have snapped off. When the bodywork is all attached, it actually doesn't even move; the top screw posts and pressure of the bodywork all around keep it pretty stable, but I'm working on it anyway, it might as well be fixed.

Being that it's plastic, epoxies are finnicky, so what kind of plastic is this, so I can use the right epoxy/glue? Right now I've tried Elmer's Probond Advanced (after 36 hours, it still came right apart) and right now I've got Permatex permapoxy 5 minute plastic weld curing. The latter said it was good for ABS, which I'm kind of assuming the housing is (like the fairing), so I've got my fingers crossed.

FYI I have found adhesives that work but, not for long, nothing will permanently fix the housing other than a plastic welder. The housing has a designation on it some where HDMP or simular and a clock like figure.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

It seems to be a right pain to actually get into the housing (getting the reflector and lens off etc) so I'm just hoping epoxy will work. If nothing does work, I'll fab something out of some sheet metal, spacers, nuts, and bolts, but I'd rather not.

Complete intact headlights are hard to come by, and pretty damn pricey on ebay!

Comment

I just used plastic epoxy on mine and so far they have held on for about 1000 miles so far.

Comment

Being the fairing also hold the light in place, could work for a while.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

That's what I'm hoping. I'll get back in there eventually, and I've got some polypropylene compatible epoxy coming from an aircraft mechanic I know, so I'll be able to fix it if I need to. The plastic weld epoxy seems to be holding for now!

Comment

Working...
            X