X

Went down on the Kawi

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went down on the Kawi

Hit oil in the road and over corrected. Dumb mistake, and its the first time I've gone down(riding 10 years). I never really liked the color of the bike anyway so I figured now was as good a time as any to change it. I did some pretty serious damage but after about a week and a half of repair I was able to get it back on the road for less than $20. A quart of paint, some dent pulling, some tank smoothing, a little plastic welding and a whole lot of sanding. Came out nice. I could have done it in about 3 days but I was pretty banged up and it took me a week to get back on my feet. I bought a used clutch lever($6 shipped, waiting on it to arrive because right now I have an eye bolt I bent as a lever) and a timing cover (that I won't need because I shaved mine smooth). I hate that I wrecked it but I like it better now than before. I'm not sure if I want to put the emblems back on. I kind of like how it looks without them. I still have some wet sanding and buffing to do, I got a couple small runs. You can't see them unless you're looking for them but if I went this far I may as well do it 100%. It isn't perfect but its pretty good considering I'm not, and never will be, a paint and body guy.

Last edited by Tempted; 08-18-2013, 03:19 AM.

Well at least you got your crash over with. Pretty much every biker will go down eventually. Nice work on the bike!
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Looks good. Am I correct I was reading some where you got this bike not to long ago and the power it has intimidated you? I know it was one of these bikes, and someone on here. I like it more after the work you did too. I fell 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and I am still dealing with some sore spots. Mostly my back, and lifting 50lb suitcases at work does not help my back. I know how you feel though. At least your safe.
      99 Katana 600

Comment

Glad your ok there..
        as for the bike ,you did a great job fixing everything it looks really good.!!
        I had to fix ,fiberglass, paint ,sand forever mine also so i know how much work it takes / Great job there

Comment

yeah this thread here i was thinking of

99 Katana 600

Comment

Glad to know you're up and about......and now an official member of the "Been Down Club". I loved that bike when you first posted about it. I can't wait to see it with its nose-cone back on it. A gold Kawi emblem on the tank would look cool.....very cool.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Yep but it had nothing to do with speed or power. I dropped it when I hit oil. I'm pretty comfortable on the bike now. Its still nasty fast, I just learned the throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
                Yep but it had nothing to do with speed or power. I dropped it when I hit oil. I'm pretty comfortable on the bike now. Its still nasty fast, I just learned the throttle.
                Speed, power, oil, sand, parking lot, lowside, highside, ...bottom line...you went down. It's not only throttle control and cagers we have to worry about.
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I blame my fall on my own inexperience. I was only about a month on my Kat, and I was playing in a turn, went a little to fast for the turn and hit some loose gravel or grass.
                  99 Katana 600

Comment

You're 100% correct but I could have avoided the fall if I was paying attention. I still contend that every lay down is preventable. Not all collisions are, but I think all lay downs are. I'm guilty of being too comfortable on a bike. I should have seen the oil, it was daylight and wasn't raining, and even after I hit it I should have been able to keep it upright had I used correct brake, turn in and clutch input.

I hope its the only time I ever go down but I know there is a good chance it'll happen again and I might not get up, pick the bike up and ride it back home after the fall next time. I'll certainly be paying more attention. I've always been terrified of unseen tire shards, car parts and lost cargo on the highway but I've never cared about low speed slip hazards. Just figured I had the ability to correct a slip, I've done it many times on many different bikes.

I am moving on to a V-Max now though. I love the way they look, run and ride. I'll most likely sell the Z-Rex when I find the right V-Max.

Comment

Post pics of the new ride....... before.....after I crashed...... again........ You missed the point of my post. Riding a bike is a learning curve. It never ends.
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Yeah, but on a bike you don't always get to learn from your mistakes. It isn't for everyone but I've always loved riding. I learned something on the Z-Rex though. It isn't a bike that everyone can ride, and I'm on the lower end of being able to ride it. I know I can't handle its potential.

Comment

At least you realize that, and I know you've been riding longer then I have. The Kat 600 is a lot for me sometime. Its great to learn on. One day I hope to get to a bigger bike, but in reality I really don't need to.

Some folks will believe they can handle a bike like the z rex, and they really can't. Then they become a statistic.
                          99 Katana 600

Comment

Its a shame, too. I have a 955i Speed Triple as well and the Z-Rex smokes it. The Trip is supposed to be faster, per the specs, but doesn't come close. The Rex is more comfortable, more fuel efficient and more reliable than any other liter sport bike that I've owned or ridden. The boys on the ZRX forum say the bike can't be stock, it originally only made 122hp and topped out at 150mph. Its engine was borrowed from the ZX12R and tuned for torque. It'll pulls power wheelies from 1st through 3rd and will flip you backwards in a heartbeat if you don't respect the throttle in 1st or 2nd. I've gotten used to the power band now and love running it all out in the early gears. In 1st I'll crack half throttle, pull the wheel up a few inches, wait for it to settle down, open it up to full throttle, lift the wheel again about a foot, then set it down and slam 2nd gear, lift it up and carry it through 3rd. Its one of the most amazing feelings on a bike to pull and hold low wheelies with hard acceleration for a half mile. And the 1st gear, two stage wheelie is just cool.

This is scary. Only 4th gear, never got into 5th. It pulls hard all the way to redline in 4th, I'm thinking I can pull another 20-25mph in 5th.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngDOPotS1qI"]Anti-Street Fighter Kawasaki 165mph - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                            X