X

who has removed hand grips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who has removed hand grips

Need some advise....anyone replaced grips?
    Always take the long way home.

Yeah, not hard, but not fun to install aftermarket ones...

Removing is easy, and if you take your time, you can even save the originals, but if you dont want to, just cut them off...

Installing is a different matter.. On mine (05 750), don't know about previous years, I hade to file off some ridges that the oem grips use to stay in place and two other plastic parts at both ends of the throttle grip...

Once that was done, pretty easy, some adhesive and slide into place... My only problem with this is that you can't really go back to the originals 100% since you topped off some plastic that gives the oem grips their form.

Aramis

Comment

I reused the originals when I installed heated grips.

A screwdriver or butter knife to work under the old grip is needed to break the old glue. Lot's of wiggling and pulling after that and they'll come off.
      Kyle

Comment

Here is a trick I use.

I cut a 10" peice of coat hanger and bend the end into two 90 degrees so it looks like a winding handle. Stick the long end under the grip and start turning! The wire will roll around under the whole grip and will loosen it. If you have to, coat it with some soap and do it a second time and the grip will slip off easily.

Carl-
        "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If you have access to an air hose stick it inside the edge and they glide right off on a cushion of air. Pretty much the same deal to put them back on, just a little more wiggling. Takes 10-15 minutes.
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim
              If you have access to an air hose stick it inside the edge and they glide right off on a cushion of air. Pretty much the same deal to put them back on, just a little more wiggling. Takes 10-15 minutes.
              ...I did it the first time this way and it worked..and as Jim said putting the new ones on the same way worked just fine..
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

It took an axe, 3 pounds of butter and Chuck Norris to get my OEM grips off....

What a pain in the arse!

I also had to do a little filing to get the first set of replacements on, but now everything seems to be workin' just fine. (I recently discovered safety wire!)The last three sets of grips that I've been through.....I just sliced into them about 1" with an exacto, and peeled 'em off the throttle tube. No use in keeping old grips around!
                FrankenKat 1216
                GS Fiter 816
                GSXR750! (race)

Comment

grip removal

I removed my. All I did was take some WD-40 with the red tube nozzle thingy and shoved it under my stock grip...30 seconds later they were off. I however did not file off the plastic from the stock grips. It worked fine for me as is.

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13627
                    Thats a great writeup for this mod.. 8)

Just remember if you have to cut out the ends of the grips alittle more to fit the bar ends..be extra careful, I went thru a 2nd set of grips trying it the first time.

Comment

Thanks to all. I think I've got a grip of the situation!
                      Always take the long way home.

Comment

Working...
                      X