Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Epic failure so far (fairing install tale from a super newb)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic failure so far (fairing install tale from a super newb)

Pride? After 8 hours of failure, i seem to have none left.

Here's why:

I got hooked on plasti dip. I got a bike (katana 2000). I figured I'd meld the two.

Ive never really done any projects that aren't computer related and so I gave a try for this. Took apart the fairings (and inner fairings?). Dipped my bike and it's everything I was hoping for on a first time project.

The issue? I wasn't wise enough to take pics or zip lock my screws into labelled plastic bags. I have learned my lesson.. I can put most of it back together but there are a whole bunch of screws left over. Including those big ones that are under the seats (they look like those anyways).

Looked at the guide on here but I seem to have taken the long / hard road and ended up taking apart more than I needed.

Anyone happen to be in montreal? Lol (well, kinda serious at this point).

Or are there other guides that maybe will point me in the right direction?

Signing off...
    Super newb...aka Alex

Take out all the screws and bolts you put in. Separate them into groups. Sort them by colour, size, and thread. Are they sharp or blunt at the end?

If it has a allen key head, it's likely a fairing attacher. The small ones join the belly pan, the nosecone, the inner fairings. Larger allen heads go on the shoulders, beneath the handle bars. The very largest go behind the tank and at the very back of the lower belly pan near the footrests.

If they have cross heads, they are mostly internals. Long ones hold down the seat lock bracket, shorter ones for the rear light cluster - both outside and in.

If they have socket heads - thats the tank - rubber grommets go under the tank lip, over the tank lip, then bolt on.

If they are small and sharp, they are plastic wells - indicator pod mounts, bottom fairing cowling to outer fairing etc, inner windscreen near the mirrors.

Comment

Holy moly. That's specific for sure!

Ok, gonna take the bike apart again and do as you say. I didn't take off the back fairings however (forgot to mention that in my depressive moment of writing).

I'll also take some pics and if there are still left overs, i'll pic those too.

Thanks!! At least I have an indication of where the screws go now..

Comment

If you didn't take off the back fairings - your job is an awful lot simpler

If you took the front end completely apart, remember the push-pins and the pop-pins! Pops go on the inside and hold the black instrument shrouding, and the push hold up the lower chin fairing under the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
          Take out all the screws and bolts you put in. Separate them into groups. Sort them by colour, size, and thread. Are they sharp or blunt at the end?

If it has a allen key head, it's likely a fairing attacher. The small ones join the belly pan, the nosecone, the inner fairings. Larger allen heads go on the shoulders, beneath the handle bars. The very largest go behind the tank and at the very back of the lower belly pan near the footrests.

If they have cross heads, they are mostly internals. Long ones hold down the seat lock bracket, shorter ones for the rear light cluster - both outside and in.

If they have socket heads - thats the tank - rubber grommets go under the tank lip, over the tank lip, then bolt on.

If they are small and sharp, they are plastic wells - indicator pod mounts, bottom fairing cowling to outer fairing etc, inner windscreen near the mirrors.
          Nice - add some pics to this and make it a stickie
          2002 GSXF 750

Comment

So, it's 1:45 AM and i'm finally done. Thank you very much for the hints on where the screws go, it really was a big help.

It was a big learning experience for me (simple to others maybe but complex to me) and in the future i'll know to take pictures, Ziploc the screws with proper identification and look on Katriders before starting a job to see if there is a guide. On another plus note however, I feel comfortable taking them off again if I need to .

Final verdict: I still have 2 screws left (1 really small crosshead and 1 big allen key head). I don't know where they go but i'll attempt to take it on a short ride and try to hear if there are any rattles .

Thanks again!

Alex

Oh... one last question: the only part of the fairing I didn't take off (or plasti dip) is the front splash guard. I think I have to take off the wheel first since there are bolts attached to the screws right? Or is there another way?

Comment

Originally posted by afata5 View Post

Oh... one last question: the only part of the fairing I didn't take off (or plasti dip) is the front splash guard. I think I have to take off the wheel first since there are bolts attached to the screws right? Or is there another way?
              Negative. There are nuts on the inside of of 2 bolts, but long fingers and a little patience and care are all that's required to remove and replace them. (Tip - I use a dab of silicon to hold them in place while I refit the guard, then get a finger to them before threading the bolt through.)

Comment

I'll bet the remaining really big one goes on the left side lower fairing. You'll need to lower the kickstand to get to it

Comment

Any pics of the plasti dip? Did you use the glossifier? I've been slowly painting all my pieces with the plasti dip. You cna see in my avatar I did the sides matte black and the under fairing blaze green with glossifier. going to do the tail the blaze green and the tank matte black.
                  - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

And people moaned at me for my hammer finish job lol

Comment

I think I may have ruined a lot of Katanas. Sorry about that.

Comment

if you ever need info on removing fairings, etc. I made a post some time ago, http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...oving+fairings
                        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
                          if you ever need info on removing fairings, etc. I made a post some time ago, http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...oving+fairings
                          That's a great post on fairing removal. I used it the first time I pulled mine.
                          2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
                            I saw . Just after I finished taking it apart . A part that I went through which does not seem to be in the guide (and no longer remember if it was required) was that I actually had to unscrew 4-6 screws from the "inside" (aka on the inside having to go in the back of the wheels). I think it was required though... lol (too many hours, and too much booze later)

But yes, it is a great guide that you put up!!

Thanks!
                            Al

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                            I'll bet the remaining really big one goes on the left side lower fairing. You'll need to lower the kickstand to get to it
                            Nope, that's not it... bike is rolling fine though at the moment (famous last words?? lol)

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                            Negative. There are nuts on the inside of of 2 bolts, but long fingers and a little patience and care are all that's required to remove and replace them. (Tip - I use a dab of silicon to hold them in place while I refit the guard, then get a finger to them before threading the bolt through.)
                            I've tried that and my finger doesn't really fit. I'm gonna ask a friend that has thinner ones lol
                            Last edited by afata5; 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                              Any pics of the plasti dip? Did you use the glossifier? I've been slowly painting all my pieces with the plasti dip. You cna see in my avatar I did the sides matte black and the under fairing blaze green with glossifier. going to do the tail the blaze green and the tank matte black.
                              Pics as requested!!

Since it was my first time, i did something really basic. I'm thinking about taking it all apart again and starting over with more colors/style... for the moment though, i'm pretty happy.

5 coats = Gunmetal Grey
                              1 coat of Metalizer (silver)
                              1 coat of gloss.

Comment

Working...
                              X