X

Fairing Bolts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing Bolts

Hey all, new here and just purchased a 95 Katana 600.

I took the whole thing apart last night to get to the carburetors (wasn't running right and my choke was sticking on) and noticed that I have quite a few.. Okay, a lot of mismatched bolts and some that are even missing.

I was hoping someone here had a full list of all of the fairing bolts, where they go (least important, I can figure that out), and the thread count/pitch of the bolts. Or just a part #. I want to get all new stainless bolts for the fairings. Some had washers, some didn't, so I'm assuming they're all supposed to have washers.

Thanks for the help, and I'll also be looking through a technical manual (only found one for the 98+ Katanas, but are they all the same bolts?).
    1995 Suzuki Katana 600F
    Full D&D Exhaust

BikeBandit has diagrams of the entire motorcycle is section. Add your year and then go to OEM parts and find the fairings. It will list the fasteners. It may not be easy to find at first, but they are there somewhere. Maybe under a different category. There are other sites with similar diagrams that may be more detailed. I don't know them right off hand. Others may chime in with them.
    First motorcycle - new project
    1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the link. It was a bit of a challenge to line up the part # with the poor quality image though.

I found this on eBay, and it says it will fit my bike. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

1995 Suzuki Katana 600F
      Full D&D Exhaust

Comment

If you don't mind doing some work you can find a local fastener supply place and go buy the pieces yourself in stainless. You have some of the hardware so you can use that to match it up and then just get the different lengths you need. You can choose to get whatever screw head you want.

Comment

That was an option to save some money, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. That eBay ad has things that I haven't even seen when I took apart my fairings. The bottom right side windshield fastener didn't even screw out, it just pulled out. I think it may need to be re-threaded. The bike is literally put together with bits, even the gas tank bolts are different! Who knows what might be missing from my bike.

Also, I'm missing a mounting bracket for the lower front fairings pictured here:

As you can see, it exists on this side:

Do you know the part # so I can get a new one?
          1995 Suzuki Katana 600F
          Full D&D Exhaust

Comment

On BikeBandit that is part number 1123921. You can find it under Body & Fender > OEM > Installation Parts, number 33. You will also probably need parts 34 and 35 to go with it.

The diagrams aren't the best, but usually you can see everything that is needed. You can always go street fighter and ditch the fairings.

Comment

Thank you so much, you've been a lot of help. Unfortunately, I don't like the whole street fighter look. Full fairing bikes have always been my style. I just want to get this thing cleaned up and running right and put together. I will probably buy some nail varnish to patch up some paint chips (I'm not sure of the actual color, it may be electric blue, but the fairings don't look stock). It's going to need a little bit of work and I'm also planning on wire brushing down some rust spots and painting it. A few grime-heavy spots around the oil cooler lines and on top of the valve cover where it looks like a vent going to the air box.

Actually, I may as well just upload some pictures of my bike eh?

Here are all of my fairings:

Some fairing damage which I'll probably fiberglass. Can't seem to find a new fairing kit online at a decent price:

If you look at the very front, it looks like two different size holes have been drilled here, and in different areas. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that:

Here's the hose that I mentioned coming out of the valve covers. The engine looks wet like oil has leaked out of there. Also, the brass fitting from the petcock came out with the fuel line. I don't think it was supposed to do that, will that cause any leaks when I put it back in? Also see some residue on/in the carbs:

Naked. Full D&D exhaust 4-2-1. I also pulled the spark plugs and they were badly fouled (#2 more so than other). Black soot shoots out of the exhaust:
              Last edited by CDNbakn; 07-23-2013, 02:54 PM.
              1995 Suzuki Katana 600F
              Full D&D Exhaust

Comment

Nail varnish to cover up dings may not have the effect you anticipate. A friend tried that on her bike, ended up shrivelling the good paint at the sides and making a larger mess. Ended up making it look pretty passable with some acrylic model paint.

If it does that to paint - how on earth can girls put that on their nails???

The grimy bits on the engine will come off no problem with Gunk. Just make sure the engine is cold before you spray it, I made a right mess of a clutch cover the hard way

Comment

Originally posted by CDNbakn View Post
                  If you look at the very front, it looks like two different size holes have been drilled here, and in different areas. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that:

Here's the hose that I mentioned coming out of the valve covers. The engine looks wet like oil has leaked out of there. Also, the brass fitting from the petcock came out with the fuel line. I don't think it was supposed to do that, will that cause any leaks when I put it back in? Also see some residue on/in the carbs:

Naked. Full D&D exhaust 4-2-1. I also pulled the spark plugs and they were badly fouled (#2 more so than other). Black soot shoots out of the exhaust:
                  I've only looked at my fairings once, to take them off, but I'm pretty sure they should be the same size. Probably a modification by PO.

I believe that hose is a breather that connects back into the airbox. Like a lot of cars. Inside the airbox it will probably be oily. If it's oily around the outside it may just not be sealing tight.

I need to see a picture of the petcock to see if it will cause problems. If it's part of the petcock, you probably will need a new one.

I would start by pulling the carbs and giving them a good cleaning. They are very finicky and anything can cause big problems. I just cleaned mine, got a little bit of debris from dirty gas in them and it wouldn't start. Had to pull them off and spray them out. Then it ran like a champ! I cna explain more about carb cleaning if you need.

Comment

Thanks for the tip about the nail varnish. I'll look at Hobby Lobby and see if I can get some acrylic paint. The main concern I have is not that it's dirty and grimey, but why it's dirty and grimey. Especially around the little box on top of the valve cover. It has left a nice clean spot right underneath it and all the way down to the starter. I'm wondering if it's similar to a PCV system on a car? Maybe a valve that has stopped working or is on it's way there.

There was a bit of oil (looks like it may have dripped at one point, but not too heavily) around the bottom of the air box. There's nothing plugging it (My previous bike had a hose that went from the bottom of the air box to the Crank case, but that's probably what the breather on top of the valve cover does), and I'm not sure if there's supposed to be something plugging it.

I'm going to make a new thread and continue this in the Mechanics 101. Figured people wouldn't want to hear about engine issues in a body work forum. Here's the link in case you want to follow:

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

1995 Suzuki Katana 600F
                    Full D&D Exhaust

Comment

your lower fairing is way modified, the very bottom should be flat to cover the oil pan, the mounting tabs where changed also. the tabs where changed so it would mount with the missing bracket, the bottom was cut out to clear the exhaust, the oil from the hose is normal, breather hose. just reclamp it. fiber glass isn't going to work well right there, use acetone and some old ABS (leggos) and you have repair cement. since you have it torn down you should download carbs 101 and just clean the carbs, you'll probably have to do it anyway since the OP was trying to overcome some issue with the A/F screws. stick with the OEM filter type and the airbox, NO K&N or pods
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I got the same faring bolt kit. I was pretty pleased, they even added a couple extra incase you loose a couple.

Comment

I did check out the fairings before I took them off and yes it was cut to clear the exhausts and what not. I don't have to take it off to do an oil change at least. I want to order that bracket when I put it back together and put it back together right. The more I dig into this bike, the more mismatched bolts I find, and some bolts aren't even there. This should get interesting.
                          1995 Suzuki Katana 600F
                          Full D&D Exhaust

Comment

Working...
                          X