Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I've gone plastic-welding, and I'm not turning back!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've gone plastic-welding, and I'm not turning back!!!

Gotta put my $0.02 in for being a newly converted disciple of plastic welding to repair fairings. Wow!!

Was browsing thru the isles at my local HF (Harbor Freight), and came across this as I was looking for some possible epoxy or fiberglass solutions for repairing my 91 Katana's fairings. Well, I saw that there was an entire plastic welding kit for only $14, so I said what the hell, I'll try it!

I was turned off by the fact that it has some chinsy little triangular heading head on it, and no others. But it impressed me that it was rated for 525W! Plenty hot enough for the fairing plastics!

Now, many people will say the fairings are ABS, some say they are an ABS/PP hybrid, some say an ABS/IM hybrid.....whichever. But I WILL say this, The sticks that come with the starter kit work PERFECT for bonding to this plastic, and still giving just a little bit of flex. They staate that the plastic is meant for black bumper repairs, and the sticks are VERY flimsy. But once heated and cooled, they stiffen right up and hold their own to the fairing wonderfully!! Just be sure and prep the surface before you start(really, just sand/dremel all the paint off down to the plastic, and you're set)

No more zip-ties, mesh/epoxy, bondo, or 2-part JB Weld for me!!!

1991 Kat 600 Fightered
    2001 SV650 Naked
    2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Originally posted by XXWoodmanXX View Post
    Now, many people will say the fairings are ABS, some say they are an ABS/PP hybrid, some say an ABS/IM hybrid.....whichever.
    I've had no luck with any other plastic than abs disolving with acetone.

The fairings will disolve just fine.

Based on that, so far... they have been all abs.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      I've had no luck with any other plastic than abs disolving with acetone.

The fairings will disolve just fine.

Based on that, so far... they have been all abs.

Krey

ABS then? I will keep that in mind. I also went today and got the 50-stick welding pack (17 ea. of ABS, PVC, and PP) for $4
      1991 Kat 600 Fightered
      2001 SV650 Naked
      2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Do you have any pics of before and after? Can you post if you do, would maybe consider doing this not completely convinced just yet...

Comment

Plastic welding

Theres a guy here in Toronto fixed a couple fairings for me, one on my RZ and the other on my Kat with plastic welding and it is truly amazing. Piece broken off, no problem, he fabricated a piece to fit.

Comment

Working...
          X