X

Plastidipped 05 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddy View Post
    The dip will still peel off after being cleared, but in very little bits at a time. The clear dries as a solid on top of the dip ruining the dip's ability to 'stretch' when you peel it off...
    Will being clear coated prevent potential damage form rubbing knees etc?

Comment

This is blaze green. It came out little darker in some spots, I am going to re-do it. I did like 3 coats of white and 3 coats of blaze green, than 3 coats of glossifier (this pic is before glossifier).

I messed it up trying to hang it and go at it from weird angles, I'm going to just the piece apart and paint it on a table so it comes out smooth. The blaze green looks dope besides me messing up the texture. Hopefully by this weekend my bike will be all glossified blaze green and black.

PRO TIP: Make sure you are inside and away from wind. That is another reason my texture was so rough and messed up on this piece. I had it hanging on an outside porch.
      Last edited by rottenpixies; 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM.
      - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

did you do it with the white first? I wonder if the glossifier would make it pop a little better maybe...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I did do white first. It pops great, that picture does it no justice. My issue was the texture came out to rough and un-even because of my bad prepping and working area.

I have done the glossifier on it since then as well, and it looks awesome besides it being uneven.
          - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
              You don't have to re-dip the tank. I discovered that if you dip your finger in paint thinner and rub it onto the peeling/damaged Plastidip you can repair it. Just roll your finger over it until its smooth, then touch it up with a squirt of Plastidip and its good as new.

Go to Home Depot, buy the regular Plastidip(not the spray can) and thin it using "Safer Paint Thinner" to about a 2/1 ratio. Costs about 15 bucks. Use a primer nozzle on your gun and you're good to go. Lays just as smooth as the sprayable stuff and costs about a fifth of the DYC gallon cans.

Thanks for the info about the fixing- I'll definitely try that next time.

As making my own spray, unfortunately, in Canada, you can't find the non-spray stuff in the stores, otherwise I'd try that.

And I'm loving the look of the matte black Kawi

Comment

Another thing I figured out is if you spray about two coats, let them dry, dip a sponge in "Safer Paint Thinner", rub it over the entire Dipped surface(smoothly), then spray the next coat before the thinner completely dries it will lay down perfectly no matter how unsteady your hand it. The thinner lets it stay soft a little longer and that gives the Dip enough time to settle cleanly. So far this has been the best thing I've found out about the stuff. Also, as I mentioned previously, use Armour All Cleaning Wipes to clean it. It makes the Dip a little tougher and a lot easier to clean.

If you spill/spray any on concrete or asphalt, clean it up by putting gasoline in a spray bottle and misting the area. Then hit it with a hose and its gone.

If you want to do a custom stencil you can use cling wrap. Just wrap the panel you are doing, make sure there are no air pockets, hit it with a hair dryer(makes the wrap stick better) and cut out what you want with an Exacto knife. Spray, then peel the cling wrap immediately.

To smooth edges from a tape line, dip your finger in Safer Paint Thinner and lightly rub it over the line. Only go over the line once, the thinner will slowly sink the dip and soften the edge. Try to use as little thinner as possible to prevent discoloring.

If you want permanent Plastidip, lay down a very thick and course layer of primer, spray it with the Dip, let it completely dry and then spray it with Rustoleum Semi-gloss clear. It loses some sheen but lasts forever. I did a couple helmets like this.

White Plastidip lays good, black lays good, blue lays fair, red does not, green does not, yellow is fair. Red and green are very hard to get consistent color with. They also seem to be different shades from can to can.

If you lay a nice coat of black Dip and then mist it with red you get a really cool deep red matte finish. Almost like it has flat red "glitter" in it. I did the vents on my helmets like this.

Comment

Beautiful bike.

Comment

I had plastidipped fairings before i got my new ones. Easy to do, and held up better than i expected.

Comment

Originally posted by muffinman View Post
                      Beautiful bike.
                      Thank you. I've always liked "muscle bikes" and 80s "superbikes". When I bought the Z-Rex I was looking for a V-Max, Rocket III, V-Rod, etc. I never knew about the Z-Rex until I stumbled upon this one on Craigslist. I bought it from the original owner(always cool to see a title with 1 mile on it) and am glad I did. Got a great price, the bike was meticulously maintained, had brand new Avon Storm II's and was mechanically perfect. Its the most comfortable liter+ sport bike I've ever ridden. This one makes just over 150hp and is a monster. Scary, really. I'm thinking about selling it and buying something slower. Never thought I'd say that.

Because of its racing heritage(its an Eddie Lawson replica bike) its harder to ride than a modern sport bike layout making more power. Its tall, lets you lean it over and kiss the concrete. It has a short wheelbase, super easy to maneuver in tight bends. Its front end heavy, lets you lay on the throttle a little harder when taking off and powering out of corners. Even being front end heavy it rips the front tire up below 4k rpms, and because of the short wheelbase its hard to center up when on one wheel. It pivots so quickly that you don't have time to brake or clutch it until you're at 90 degrees.

Enough digressing, I just wanted to show another Plastidipped bike. And this one has un-Dipped lines, not just one solid color.

Comment

Oooohhhhh. I want to try this now. It shouldn't hurt Plastidip's sheen and should make it more durable. Plus, its a real pain in the rear to clean. This would make it so much easier....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ"]NeverWet Arrives - Hands-On Product Demonstration - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

If you were doing a truck bed it would be easier to buy it in a gallon and a sprayer. I have been reading on forums if you use turtle wax on the plasti dip it holds up longer and tougher. I am in the middle of doing mine. My bike is red so I am covering very good. The tail, right fender, and front are done. The heavier you lay it on, the easier it is to peel off. NO SANDING. If it is not on heavy just give it a rub, I use some alcohol hand sanitizer watered down on a rag and the light stuff comes off. This was also good for prep to clean the area you are spraying. I'll post mine part of the way done.
                          99 Katana 600

Comment

here is mine. I still want to go over this side in white. Also They recommend using gun metal plasti dip as a base coat, but Lowes doesn't carry gun metal so I did black. Lowes carrys black and white at $6 a can so everyone knows. Wal Mart also carries it and the glossifier. Check our dipyourcar.com for more videos
                            Attached Files
                            99 Katana 600

Comment

Oooohhhhh. I want to try this now. It shouldn't hurt Plastidip's sheen and should make it more durable. Plus, its a real pain in the rear to clean. This would make it so much easier....

NeverWet Arrives - Hands-On Product Demonstration - YouTube

The first guy demonstrating it on the glass is a friend of mine. He works with the company that invented it. Rustoleum DID NOT invent this product. They just brought it to market. This product does leave a white film on whatever you spray, it is not clear. They are working on making it clear i believe which would be awesome. Imagine never having to use windshield wipers on your car

Another thing I figured out is if you spray about two coats, let them dry, dip a sponge in "Safer Paint Thinner", rub it over the entire Dipped surface(smoothly), then spray the next coat before the thinner completely dries it will lay down perfectly no matter how unsteady your hand it. The thinner lets it stay soft a little longer and that gives the Dip enough time to settle cleanly. So far this has been the best thing I've found out about the stuff. Also, as I mentioned previously, use Armour All Cleaning Wipes to clean it. It makes the Dip a little tougher and a lot easier to clean.

If you spill/spray any on concrete or asphalt, clean it up by putting gasoline in a spray bottle and misting the area. Then hit it with a hose and its gone.

If you want to do a custom stencil you can use cling wrap. Just wrap the panel you are doing, make sure there are no air pockets, hit it with a hair dryer(makes the wrap stick better) and cut out what you want with an Exacto knife. Spray, then peel the cling wrap immediately.

To smooth edges from a tape line, dip your finger in Safer Paint Thinner and lightly rub it over the line. Only go over the line once, the thinner will slowly sink the dip and soften the edge. Try to use as little thinner as possible to prevent discoloring.

If you want permanent Plastidip, lay down a very thick and course layer of primer, spray it with the Dip, let it completely dry and then spray it with Rustoleum Semi-gloss clear. It loses some sheen but lasts forever. I did a couple helmets like this.

White Plastidip lays good, black lays good, blue lays fair, red does not, green does not, yellow is fair. Red and green are very hard to get consistent color with. They also seem to be different shades from can to can.

If you lay a nice coat of black Dip and then mist it with red you get a really cool deep red matte finish. Almost like it has flat red "glitter" in it. I did the vents on my helmets like this.
                              What thinner are you using? I would like to do the thinner prob before i lay my white down or before the last coat of white maybe if it works like you say it does

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                              I have heard mixed reviews on using rustoleum clear coat... some had said it ruins the plasti dips ability to peal off cleanly. Have you used regular clear coat and then been able to cleanly peal the plasti dip off still?
                              Use Plasti Dips Glossifier and some turtle wax. Clear coat will cause the plasti dip to chip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY"]Myths About Plasti Dip (Vol 1) - YouTube[/ame]
                              Last edited by JSMencer; 08-01-2013, 09:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              99 Katana 600

Comment

I use "Safer Paint Thinner" to repair and dilute Plastidip. It takes longer to dry than regular thinner so you have more time to work with the part you are spraying/repairing. Its also mostly scent free.

If you want to keep the matte finish then you do not want to use Glossifier or Turtle Wax. Armor All is the best thing to use to clean it, but it has to be repeated often. If you want a gloss black finish then just paint the bike with gloss paint instead of Plastidip. Paint is cheaper and easier to find. The finish and texture of Plastidip is why I use it. Can't get that with paint.

Comment

Working...
                                X