X

Windscreen Bolt Size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen Bolt Size

This may or may not be a simple question, but here goes. I've recently purchased a chrome red windscreen for my 1988 Kat, but the bolt holding my current one are kinda rusty and a pain to get in and out. I'd really rather not take them out until I have to, but honestly I'd prefer to replace them with some some spiked chrome bolts or something of that nature. So, what I need to know, what size are the bolt threads themselves? I've found auctions on eBay for 5mm and 6mm bolts. Knowing that those bolts take a 9 or 10 mm socket, I'm assuming the 5 and 6 sizes refer to the threads. If anybody can shed some light on the subject, or knows of anybody who has some funky different bolts for this purpose, please drop a line.

The screen screws should be a 5mm
    You can't always judge by the wrench..
    A 5mm socket cap screw uses a 4mm allen
    A 5mm Button cap screw uses a 3mm allen
    A 4mm socket cap screw uses a 3mm allen

See?
    The number of the screw refers to the
    Major diameter of the screw. Some metric screws
    are followed by another number this is the number of threads per mm.. (this is usually only referanced in larger screws. IE 10 X 1 or 10 X 1.5..)

make sense?
    here is a ton of screw information..

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the windscreen is not a 5mm, I believe on the pre98's it's a metric 3mm or you can use US 10-32.

Here is a link you can order them from mutt1970 if you don't have anything local and easy. I like using these guys because they sell singles so if I get stuck like you are now I can just order a few of each without spending a fortune or making a dozen trips. Then I have what I need and have extras for other things

10 or 12 long should be plenty. You have to watch the length on the top bolts because of the inner trim piece but the bottom ones won't matter if they are long.
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim
        I'm pretty sure that the windscreen is not a 5mm, I believe on the pre98's it's a metric 3mm or you can use US 10-32.
        10-32 is the same size as 5mm..
        Oddly enough a 10 -32 will fit into treads cut for 5mm
        but a 5mm will not fit as well into 10-32..
        (there are tiny differeces it just works better one way that the other)

This drove me mad one day looking for a 10-32 nut.
        I thought a bunch of 10-24 nuts got mixed in..
        Then I realized I had a 5mm screw.. not a 10-32..

However when rebuilding the carbs I replaced all the
        screws with 10-32 no problem..

Comment

You americans Switch over to Metric already woulda ya ya know ya wanna

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
            10-32 is the same size as 5mm..
            Oddly enough a 10 -32 will fit into treads cut for 5mm
            but a 5mm will not fit as well into 10-32..
            (there are tiny differeces it just works better one way that the other)
            Your right, total brain fart moment and you even posted it ahead of what I put. It's a 5mm and I use a button head which uses a 3mm allen. DUH! Read before posting Jim.... Corrected the link to go to 5mm page.
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Well , unless the previous owner shoved a wood screw in there and mangled the thread . I STILL can't find a screw to fit , and I've re-tapped the hole .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
              X