X

powder coat or paint a frame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powder coat or paint a frame

I cannot seem to find a solid way to one or the other. They both have their plus and negatives.

Paint: I can do it, can fill in spots, and touch up when it gets scratched, keep hearing it is not as durable as PC

PC: I do not need to do anything, "Should not" chip, I cannot touch up.

Anyone have any input on this?

I would strip the frame to bare metal, fill areas if needed then primer, then black, then clear.

Or am I overthinking this?

Thank you,
    Patrick
    Last edited by pedal_damn_it; 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM.

From reading on this forum, powder coat seems to be the way to go when it comes to in terms of durability as you mentioned. I would probably go powder coat if I were doing my frame. I would just hate to scratch it up.
    Extra life.

Comment

If done right, with recently dated powder and a good blasting/misting with acetone...powder coat will be far longer lived than paint. I powder coated my pegs and heel guards (yes, I did with my own hands at a local shop who's been training me to coat for them), and dropped a heel guard (5 minutes after removing it from the oven) by accident, on a concrete parking space. Not a mark on the heel guard. I had just finished doing mirror black, too.
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

i painted mine. rattle can. needs one more coat and lots of clear. (gonna use a heat gun this time)
        sigpic

Comment

PC it is. Thanks fellas

Comment

Working...
          X