X

laid her over today:(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laid her over today:(

well finally laid the bike over today doin about 20 around a corner and just came out from under me got her all pulled apart to find all i need engine wise is a new pulse cover to get her back up and going but cosmetic wise... she needs some work.

make me feel better and tell me your story of lain your bike down
    track pro

Why do you think she came out from under you at 20mph?
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Speed Kills!!!

Glad you are ok and so is the bike. Is this your first??

Some years ago I was going around a corner on my 1983 1100 Kat that I am still riding today. It had rained the night before and as I came around the corner I noticed small bits of gravel and stones had washed across the road. If I hit that I was definitely going down so I picked the bike up and took to the side. I got into the dirt and into a slide but I held it. I was a motorcyling god!!. Then... I noticed one of those small posts with reflectors on to show you the way around a corner at night. I had two choices, hit it or just lay the bike down. I chose the latter. By this time I was going very slowly. A few scratches on the pipe and torn jeans. My ego was the biggest casualty.
      Take care out there!!!!

Mel
      Last edited by Mel Wainwright; 03-25-2013, 01:23 AM.
      MelWain

Comment

Sorry you did, but glad at the same time. I know its horrible to say, but as they say: your either gonna go down or you've been down.

A few days after buying my kat, I was trying to learn on my own. It had rained the night before, I tried to make a u-turn and my hand grabbed throttle. The back end got loose, gained some speed, and off I went. Landed half on/half off the curb, my rib cracked in two places. Got road rash. So yea, that's my going down.

Sent from my phone

Comment

I high-sided my first motorcycle on a freeway on-ramp - it had rained the night before, and I was riding like it was dry....back tire slipped on the curve and she started bucking and that was all she wrote. Broke my wrist and cracked a rib, but still picked it up and rode home

Second crash was a bike I had literally just bought, I was riding it home and when I pressed the rear brake to slow down for an offramp and the rear brake shoes delaminated and locked up the rear wheel. 50 mph+ and not a scratch on me, thanks to gear and the wet ground acting like a pebbly slip and slide.

Incidentally I stopped using rear brakes altogether after that crash.

Third time I didn't notice the giant diesel spill I was in the middle of, that hurt, it was a front wheel skid with zero warning or chance of recovery. I went straight to the hospital on that one and still feel it when I run or the weather changes. I low sided but it was so abrupt and violent the bike crushed my leg.

Oh, yeah, the bikes got totally fucked every time.

My advice to you is to get back on the seat as quickly as you can, you're going to be twitchy and nervous for a while but eventually things get back to normal!

Comment

Glad you are alright.

Comment

Putting abou 1000 into my kat! Laid it down last season doing abot 35. Slid into a curb, not a scratch on me though! Thats all that really matters!

Comment

Important thing is your ok. What made you go down? I've never laid down a bike. Trying to put it on centerstand and foot slid off of stand and dropped it very slowly. Good thing was nobody seen me. Haha

Comment

This is a funny story. ON my first bike (a suzuki 450 "rat bike"), I couldn't get the carbs to idle so my "solution" was to keep the idle high and just romp away from every stop. I was parked downtown on a touristy town, with cobble stone cross walks. It had rained recently so there was water on the street near the sidewalk...I try to do my patented "romp away", only to hit the wet cobblestones, get into a gnarly slide, lowside, then the stupid bike stands back up and ghost rides for a few yards, only to fall over again. It must have looked pretty funny chasing a getaway bike.

No real damage, only to my pride

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
                    No real damage, only to my pride
                    That's why we wear full-face helmets with tinted visors.
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Would it help if I told you I tried that to no avail because there was a headache involved?

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Shmidt thats flying? Still works for bikes! Both times I have straighten the corners. Both times due to sand on the very edge of the road. One time a low side - Totalled the bike. One time a high side. Tough on the plastic. Now that I am 50 I try to keep the wheels under be better.
                        Jim; 2001 Kat 600 totalled - 2011, 2000 Katana 750 - sold 2013, - Currently riding a 2002 Yamaha FZ1 - - Next bike to be determined.

Comment

Don't feel bad man! I just laid my second bike down for the first time. Ride it only 3 times. This was this Saturday. Got a little warm here and I rode the GSX-R. I came to a turn, moved towards left side of the lane to take the right turn. As I was pwning to make the right turn my front tire slid from under and I slid a few feet. Bike hews rashes on right side on fairing and small scratch on stock exhaust can. Biggest things is I could have avoid it with frame sliders if I just waited to ride a few more days. But desperate times cause for desperate measures.

But again, can't all accidents be"avoided"? So don't feel bad man. You can't nothing about it but learn how to NOT do it again. Everybody says, "it's not if you have crashed, it's WHEN you will crash"

I just consider myself lucky the intersection was empty and I didn't get ran over by incoming traffic. Cosmetic issues can be repaired. Plus it gives the bike character and you got a story. Everybody loves story time Lol. But gear saved my butt!

I'm still sketchy, but like somebody said. Get more seat time and you'll gain confidence again. Just remember and put all conditions into your riding, small variables will impact your riding experience more than you think.

Ride safe and wear your gear! ...we live another day!
                          - = Dane = -

"Everybody knows it ain't tricking if you got it"

Comment

so i dont feel as stupid now exept for the fact that my gf watched it happen
                            track pro

Comment

It can happen, stupid question, you didn't put black magic, or armorall on the tires did ya? I was looking at your pic and the tires just looked too glossy to me, maybe it's just the photo.

But crap happens, main thing as stated your up and about and doing fine, screw the bike it can be replace life can't.

Learning to ride (day before the MSF riding course) I crashed my sisters buel in a parking lot doing 20 lol, didn't hurt the bike but it landed on my foot after hitting a curb and getting thrown off it. My foot was hurting the next day but still went to the MSF, the instructor saw me limping and asked what was up, I told him and he just laughed and said now you know how to crash, lets learn how to ride.
                              Last edited by Jman2343; 03-25-2013, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X