X

Undercoating

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undercoating

Stupid question but i saw that the spray can automotive undercoating claims to help reduce noise. Would spraying then inside of the fairings and underside of the tank actually do anything?
    94 kat 600 RIP
    97 vfr 750 ride on

I dont know what kind of noise you are getting but if youre missing rubber bushings , bolts and those plastic "rivet" like knobs on the fairings you will get vibration noise. if the problem is vibration noise you should check all of that also things that might be loose like cables or other things.

also the front wheel fender has got one rubber mat on each side pushing against the forks. missing any of those WILL produce vibration noise. they are easy to overlook since they are barely visible without unmounting.
    Last edited by mammut89; 01-27-2013, 06:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

You could also just spend your money on a quieter helmet. I didn't realize how much of a difference there was until I moved from my HJC modular helmet to a Bell Star.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by Aimbot9000 View Post
        Stupid question but i saw that the spray can automotive undercoating claims to help reduce noise. Would spraying then inside of the fairings and underside of the tank actually do anything?
        because a motorcycle rider is open to the elements and the engine is basically the same, no it would not do much but add more weight to the already overweight Kat. in automotive sure, because everything is enclosed and the driver is inside a large, and more or less airtight box, and the engine and exhaust is completely separated from the driver

if your bike is that noisy to consider this, then you have a few options... figure out WHY its that noisy, get a helmet that reduces noise levels, or buy a new, less noisy bike. chances are you are just hearing hearing wind noise, so i would just get a better helmet
        Last edited by boomer_95; 01-27-2013, 09:32 AM.
        if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

ok thanks guys. guess i'll find some more productive way to kill a day
          94 kat 600 RIP
          97 vfr 750 ride on

Comment

you can buy panel insulation and do the underside of the tank and fairings. It does help reduce noise but also retains more heat.

The bottom of my tank had been insulated to keep fuel temps down , reduce how much fuel evaportates when parked after a ride and engine is hot
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I hear Harleys are really quiet.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                I hear Harleys are really quiet.
                2002 GSXF 750

Comment

If overall noise is the issue, not specifically noise from the bike, I would say to just get some ear plugs from a hardware store. I use the orange construction ones from ACE. I have tried many types, but those are comfortable for me and they are about $7. If you specifically want to reduce noise coming from the bike, I don't know...
                  Extra life.

Comment

if you dont like road noise dont ride you bike sell it get a car.

Comment

insulating panels to reduce noise on a motorcycle makes about as much sense as screen doors on a submarine.

what can I say.....it was the first thing that popped in my mind when I read the post.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

C'mon, screen doors on submarines are fine as long as they are interior doors.
                        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

anywho i ended up replacing all the rubber mounts and and spacers on the bike as well as a valve adjustment and drive chain adjustment cut out the noise that shouldn't have been there.
                          94 kat 600 RIP
                          97 vfr 750 ride on

Comment

Working...
                          X