No announcement yet.
X

Rear seat cover/delete?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long did it take you guys to receive ur solo cowls in the states? I haven't heard Anything from Andy since it shipped and I was just wondering as I haven't received it still.
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

I've received packages from the UK in 3-4 days. I ordered something that came from Portugal and it took 7 weeks.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yea but its been over 13 days lol. I wish he would respond back.

Comment

No tracking number or anything? Has it been marked shipped (if you purchased it on ebay)

Comment

No tracking. eBay marked it as shipped on the 15th via Royal Mail airmail. So it's been 13 days since it has been marked as shipped. Idk wat Royal Mail turns into once it gets to the states. Tracking is extra like 5 euro. So I assume its USPS delivery once it gets to the USA.

Comment

just wanted to update, I finnally got in touch with Andy, he sent me a tracking number that doesnt really do all that much (its like a tracking number you get for USPS for stuff coming from china etc). But it states...

Your item, posted on 17/01/13 with reference *********** has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

then i go to USPS and this is what it says...
              We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece.

Basically he said its stuck in customs it sounds like. I cant understand why it would be stuck this long! UGH!!! But then again USPS is about the worst form of delivery ever.

Comment

Just wanted to update to say that I finally recieved the solo cowl today. Didn't even get a chance to take a look at it yet.

Comment

Guess an update would be order.

Im pretty UNHAPPY with the solo cowl actually. Unwrapped it and it had a few cracks in the gel coat and one corner was chipped. Also on one of the sides finish wasnt all that great with the gel coat gona and was sanded very rough on that spot.

THen things got worse when i went to install this. it would not fit the bike, the clip that slides under the brake light wasnt even close to the right opening size and then on top of that it wasnt spaced far enough away from the surface (basically glassed right to the underside of the cowl) and wasnt lining up with the brake light top surface. It was lower by like 1/2" I mean come on. I had to rebend the tab completely without braking the fiberglass and then had to modify my stock brake lense to raise the cowl to get close to the surface of the rear light. With both mods I was able to bring it up close enough, but even then the curvature of the cowl doesnt match the rear brake light which you can see in the pics.

Also I have a mean 1/4" gap on the right side by the rear fairing and the curve of the cowl doesnt match the curve of the rear light so theres a low section on the very top of the cowl where the brake light is slightly higher (has more of a curve). Then the mounting part (where the seat lock bolts down) was not nearly long enough to cover all the mounting holes when I eventually made everything fit. Also the angle of the mounting flange wasn't close to the angle of the bike mount so when you tightened the seat mount bolts it flexed the fiberglass causing a crack at the mount.

Im not pleased at all with the fitment being a "bolt on" piece.

Im almost tempted to ask for a refund or something as I would hate to give Andy bad seller rating etc as hes doing the kat world a favor kinda but this is alittle ridiculous.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Final shots, wrapped in carbon fiber 3M di-noc. Seat cover will prob change to match.

the 3rd pic you can see the large gap along the line of the rear fairing. Pic 2 shows the curve that doesnt match the brake light curve.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'm not saying you don't have some legit complaints, but...

Your specified expecations of fitment are also not what I would call reasonable.

This is comparing what I see in those pictures fitment wise and comparing that to Suzuki made OEM Solo Cowls and fitment. That cowl fits better than the OEM suzuki fairing does. (yes, I have one...) In addition, there will be variances in frame/brackets/mounting of the tail fairings/light/subframe from use that will also effect the minute alignment of the parts together.

I would expect that yes, you would have some adjustments to make to get things lined up best. I would also expect to see some minor variances in an otherwise hand made part.

I don't pesonally agree that the finish was "ready to paint"... but it is sold as an unfinished part (paint/final surface finish needed). If you were putting a pro type finish on the product, those imperfections would be minor adjustments and prep work you would already expect to do on an unpainted part.

But that's just the flip side of the coin I suppose.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have a 2003 gsx 750. Has anyone purchased the low rise cowl and have pics of it installed on a 2003?

Comment

I would contact andy, only as to the fit and finish issues so that he can have adjustments made to the molds. He has them made for us, He should know of quality issues. And I agree with kreylyn 100%. Hand made parts, hell, ALL after market body parts ,be it cars, bikes or what ever else, will need some adjustments to fit correctly, You have to remember that these bike are 20 years old and most have had a ruff and neglected life. Still looks great..
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I guess I wasnt expecting this to take as long as it did. Took me the better part of 3-4hrs to just get it to fit. But its not a bad piece, just wasnt a 30 min install as he showed it in the videos or as he stated.

My biggest complaint was the metal tab... That thing was no where NEAR how it should have been. I doubt there are variances with the rear brake light housings enough where it would need the modifications needed to fit as I have it. Im good at problem solving/fabrication so I can usually get anything to work but that thing wasnt even close!

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                              I guess I wasnt expecting this to take as long as it did. Took me the better part of 3-4hrs to just get it to fit. But its not a bad piece, just wasnt a 30 min install as he showed it in the videos or as he stated.

My biggest complaint was the metal tab... That thing was no where NEAR how it should have been. I doubt there are variances with the rear brake light housings enough where it would need the modifications needed to fit as I have it. Im good at problem solving/fabrication so I can usually get anything to work but that thing wasnt even close!
                              That would be the reason i would let him know, He doesn't want to sell shoddy parts.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                                That would be the reason i would let him know, He doesn't want to sell shoddy parts.
                                Agreed, I think honest feed back about the real condition of the part is important. I posted only to give an alternate point of view to consider before taking that step.

I agree the tab should have been closer to correct, and I would certainly not have expected to see chips/gouges on the part. Personally I would also have expected the tab portion that goes under the seat lock to have been about 1/2" wider...

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                                X