X

Headlight Lens Restoration?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Lens Restoration?

Putting new bulbs in my bike and it appears that headlight lens have a little bit of clouding.

Is it safe to use the 3M Headlight Lens restoration materials on these lenses?

I used it with great success on my autos (Nissan and Honda), but I want to be sure my bike's lenses are the same material/compatible with the 3M kit.

Or if someone knows of some home remedies I'm all ears.

Thanks

I have used it on a gsxr lens, make sure you use the uv sealant after
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Don't laugh but toothpaste works. My daughter told me about it and then did it on my Audi lens'.
      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKAshYmrExc"]Remove Yellow haze on headlights with toothpaste? - YouTube[/ame]
      Ride like it's your last ride
      sigpic

Comment

Plastic is plastic.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFury View Post
          Don't laugh but toothpaste works. My daughter told me about it and then did it on my Audi lens'.
          Remove Yellow haze on headlights with toothpaste? - YouTube
          Since I only have a couple of very light cloud spots I think toothpaste might just fit the bill.

Makes sense though, a very mild abrasive, plus its a whole lot less expensive than a $30 kit.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

the absolute best thing I found for polishing glass came from caswell inc. (http://www.caswellplating.com). when I was in the business of parting out bike, I used to run into bikes with badly yellowed headlights and windscreens. I posted the results on here once and folks were amazed. it was a windscreen that was so yellow that you could barely see through it, and in less than an hours time, it looked like a brand new windscreen. it was from an early 80's GS1100. I would have been lucky to get $10 for it before the restoration. I ended up getting well over a $100 for it after the polishing.

I looked for it on caswell site, but didn't find it. I still have a couple of bottle os it in the garage, so I will try to think to look at what it is called. it was cheap too...under $10 for a bottle, with enough to do at least 20 headlights. awesome stuff.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

This perhaps? :- http://www.caswellplating.com/permat...kit-1-kit.html
              I'm outa here

Comment

Originally posted by ManQu View Post
                no...it is just a bottle of liquid polish. it is white liquid. I saw some liquid rouge on the site, but that is for metal. it is Caswell brand that I have....white bottle, white label. still haven't looked to see what it is called exactly. need to do some things in the garage tomorrow, so I will look.

Comment

I've tried this before on my Nissan. It works

Comment

for sure tooth paste will work. I am willing to bet that some cow brand baking soda diluted in a bit of hydrogen peroxide would work even better. all you need is some form of liquid or paste with a wee bit of grit in it. on a glass headlight you could probably get away with comet. might be a bit rough for a plastic lens though. it's not the plastic fading...it's just crud built up on it.

headlight lenses aren't as fussy because the design and small size sort of hide the swirl marks.

Comment

bar keepers friend is great for getting the haze out....follow it up with a plastic polish/ uv protestant, and they'll look like new

Comment

CLR has worked really well for me...

Comment

Lol, I hear you on the buffer. Toothpaste also works extremely well to polish metals by the way. Works great on stainless and chrome. I'll post some pics next time I have to do metal work, already did it all on the bike I just picked up.
                          BDSCRPN

Comment

Working...
                          X