Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust needs a good cleaning!

Hey,
    So I have a Yoshimura 4 to 1 Exhaust that was on when I bought the bike:

The main issue is its extremely rusty and discolored from heat towards the carb side. Is there a way I can make this look great again like I'm sure it did originally?(Painting ideas or something! Lol) Also what is the best way to make it shine again? Any specific cleaners or compounds that would make this look better/cleaner on the not so rusty end?

I read bead or soda blasting is the best way to go. Or scrub with aluminum foil, scrub pads or something else that will scrub the rust off.
    Extra life.

Comment

Most auto stores carry a high temp header paint in the rattle can. It's simple to use. Just brush clean up and knock of any loose rust before applying. Follow the instructions on curing the paint, and it will last a long time and look good.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I actually had a very similar issue as you (large scratches and gunk buildup) and I think I have the same pipe as you. What I did was a two part project. First I did the pipes:

1. scrubbed all the dirt off the pipes (left the aluminum end part alone)
        2. sanded with 500 grit sand paper to get the big stuff off
        3. went up to 1000 grit and made it nice and smooth.
        4. got a can of Rustolium 2000 degree heat paint (rattle can) and sprayed it all on in layers (used whole can)
        5. Read the instructions on the paint. It says to wait an hour, put it back on the bike and run the bike idle for a few minutes in cycles to cure the paint faster.

This all took 3 hours or so and cost around $10

Then I worked on the aluminum part.

1. cleaned really well with paint thinner to get the glue or whatever was stuck on it, off.
        2. used 1000 grit sandpaper to bring it down to a really dull flat finish.
        3. Used 1500 and wet sanded it (just keep applying water when you sand)
        4. used 2000 grit and continued to wet sand
        5. Got "Mothers" aluminum polisher and got a few dry cotton towels and rubbed that and it actually came out with a VERY nice shine.

I did it all by hand and it took about 4 hours to do this part. Could have taken longer to get a better shine but I'm very happy with the results.

Everything for this part cost ~$20 from Advanced Auto.

Good luck!
        Last edited by Magruder13; 08-03-2012, 02:10 PM.
        1995 Suzuki Katana GSX600F (I was 4 years old when it was made)

Comment

Alright, Sounds awesome. Thanks for the ideas and tips.

Comment

Working...
          X