X

Can this be buffed out?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be buffed out?

Seriously, do you think that this could be fixed and painted? I really want to get a whole new fairing kit but I cannot afford it so I was looking into fixing up the cracks and sanding the scratches out of it and getting a different color on it. The previous owner scratched it up pretty badly. This one is the worst of them all, if this can be fixed, I should have no problem tackling the rest of it.

1995 Suzuki Katana GSX600F (I was 4 years old when it was made)

that doesn't look bad at all. should be a relatively easy fix. lots of threads on plastic repair. Do a search and you will find all kinds of tips/tricks

Comment

Simple fix...

Get some 200 grit sandpaper, and a bit of "bumper repair" filler. Sand off the paint, use the filler, sand it smooth and shape, repeat as nessasary until it's all smooth, repaint.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It's hard to tell from the photo but it looks like you've got some cracks. If that's the case, drill a hole at both ends of each crack. That'll keep them from spreading any farther. After that, fill and sand like Kreylyn says.

When it's time to paint, a detail gun or HVLP rig is nice but you can do almost as well using spray cans, wet sandpaper and a lot of patience. I'm a really big fan of those pistol-grip attachments for spray cans. I don't ever use a spray can without them now, even for the kids' Pinewood Derby cars.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          It's hard to tell from the photo but it looks like you've got some cracks. If that's the case, drill a hole at both ends of each crack. That'll keep them from spreading any farther. After that, fill and sand like Kreylyn says.
          Noted. Thanks for the tips. It just seemed like those were REALLY deep. Tomorrow I'm going to through and clean the bike really nice and note down all cracks so I can get them drilled. I assume just use a bit thats a fraction bigger than the crack.
          1995 Suzuki Katana GSX600F (I was 4 years old when it was made)

Comment

The goal is to end the crack with round edges so there's no single stress point. Use whatever size drill bit will give you that. I'd go with 1/4" or so but you could go smaller just as long as the edge of the hole is past the end of any cracking.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

That's only a "character mark" to give some street cred - my pre has plenty of them - funnily enough, one is just like yours.

Comment

Fixed yes, buffed no.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Simple fix...

Get some 200 grit sandpaper, and a bit of "bumper repair" filler. Sand off the paint, use the filler, sand it smooth and shape, repeat as nessasary until it's all smooth, repaint.

Krey
                  +1

Comment

Working...
                  X