X

Giving the girl a new look

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving the girl a new look

Well i'm starting to give my kat a new look. After going down twice this season I think its the least I can do. So far all I have done is filling is the scrapes, trying to get the curves right on one side and fixing some minor cracks.
    My plan is to paint both sides white. I'm leaving the tank blue and getting a busa front fender and paint that blue. Also add a stripe on the tail. I will get pics up tomorrow.
    Anyone know If I get a sandable filling primer would it work to fill in some small scratches?
    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
    1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Originally posted by hinow41 View Post
    Well i'm starting to give my kat a new look. After going down twice this season I think its the least I can do. So far all I have done is filling is the scrapes, trying to get the curves right on one side and fixing some minor cracks.
    My plan is to paint both sides white. I'm leaving the tank blue and getting a busa front fender and paint that blue. Also add a stripe on the tail. I will get pics up tomorrow.
    Anyone know If I get a sandable filling primer would it work to fill in some small scratches?
    Filling primers from a rattle can will really only fill in some light sanding marks, nothing bigger than that. 2 part high-build primers that you spray from a gun are supposed to be able to fill some more serious stuff, but I have no experience with them. Maybe Mojoe will chime in for that.

BTW- I recently found what I believe is the absolute best primer to come from a rattle can. You can see it here: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Transtar-Autobody-4603/dp/B000RI57GC"]Amazon.com: Transtar Autobody 4603: Automotive[/ame] but you should be able to find it at any local body supply place. As far as filling scratches and sanding well, this one is the best I've tried. It goes for about $11 per can near me (or almost 3 times what Duplicolor goes for), but each can goes a long way.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Hinow, I saw you posted up a road on motorcycle roads...maybe if I get time before the season ends I might swing out that way to see your paint job and we can hit that road.

I want to see how your paint job turns out. My bike needs one badly.
      -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
        Filling primers from a rattle can will really only fill in some light sanding marks, nothing bigger than that. 2 part high-build primers that you spray from a gun are supposed to be able to fill some more serious stuff, but I have no experience with them. Maybe Mojoe will chime in for that.
        high build primer is one way to go, but less cost effective. for small scratches you are better off just using regular primer, , sand it smooth, then take a bondo spatula and run some spot putty over it. then sand smooth and apply another coat of primer. this method can be done with a spray bomb and no compressor or spray gun needed.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Also you can use that ABS filler stuff as documented in other threads.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            Also you can use that ABS filler stuff as documented in other threads.
            ABS cement is what I use for serious gouges as well.

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
            high build primer is one way to go, but less cost effective. for small scratches you are better off just using regular primer, , sand it smooth, then take a bondo spatula and run some spot putty over it. then sand smooth and apply another coat of primer. this method can be done with a spray bomb and no compressor or spray gun needed.
            Much better. The 2k primer is about $70 per gallon at the local body supply place.
            Last edited by loudnlow7484; 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
              Hinow, I saw you posted up a road on motorcycle roads...maybe if I get time before the season ends I might swing out that way to see your paint job and we can hit that road.

I want to see how your paint job turns out. My bike needs one badly.
              Just hit me up any time.
              I just got a new tire coming on the 26th. So im down for a ride even if the kats going to be naked lol. The road I posted is nice and twisty just about the whole way. Not to many people know about it out west but the east end thats one of the best roads to run. Only like 5 min away from my home to.

Thanks for all the info. Right now Im working on getting the bondo on the big stuff sanded down and smooth. I'm still debating if I want to take it somewhere to get painted or If im going to do it my self.
              Iv painted things before with rattle cans and air airbrushes. Most of the parts were small or for my fighter witch I didn't care about small chips or dents.

Here are some pics of my fighters tank I did with my air brush

Heres a pic of where Im at now
              Last edited by hinow41; 10-20-2011, 09:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              2005 Gsx600f- My baby
              Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Another question, On this piece would it be easier to cut out the small spot and fill with bondo or do something els?

The rest of the right fairing I got done tonight all sanded down and smooth. doing the left side tomorrow an then going to try and scrape some cash together for primer!
                2005 Gsx600f- My baby

Comment

Thats a nice color blue!
                  "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                  1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                  2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Well I did a quick photo-shop to try and pick a color Im really liking this
                    2005 Gsx600f- My baby

Comment

Originally posted by hinow41 View Post
                      Just hit me up any time.
                      I just got a new tire coming on the 26th. So im down for a ride even if the kats going to be naked lol. The road I posted is nice and twisty just about the whole way. Not to many people know about it out west but the east end thats one of the best roads to run. Only like 5 min away from my home to.
                      Cool but it looks like we have to put this off till spring; I need a tire and with Winter showing it's ugly face early. But we'll definitely link up .

Keep it blue man, that's the best color.
                      -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah Im a bit surprised at this weather. I took the bike out today a bit chilly lol. I really can not deside on what color I want to paint it, I have everything sanded down and ready to go. I really don't want to paint the tank tho, so If I do blue its going to cost me to get the colorrite match.
                        2005 Gsx600f- My baby

Comment

Working...
                        X