X

Plastic paint or regular paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic paint or regular paint

i want to to repaint my kat white. should i get plastic paint or regular rattle can paint.?
    sigpic
    "Horsepower has a tendency to break things, if your not breaking anything your not going fast enough"
    "The shortest way between two points is a straight line...Whats the fun in that?"

just to give you some info...

Plastic paint is not much different than ordinary paint other than it stays flexible...

The reason being is because a lot of the time plastic moldings or whatever need to bend....if you don't have plastic paint it will crack and flake away.

Painting your fairings however...there shouldn't be any bending or distortion of the plastic so ordinary paint is fine. You can use plastic paint but not necessary IMO..I used regular acrylic enamel (color) and acrylic enamel (clear)....turned out super nice and glossy..the enamel paint comes in different colors (it's not normal rattle can paint but found in the same place in most stores)

If you plan to paint your tank...you either want to get it clear coated at an automotive paint shop or be very very careful not to spill...(can't buy a clear coat in a rattle can that is gas resistant)

hope that helps

Comment

What kind of paints can u get that are gas resistance as far as clear coat goes? I am painting mine with a rattle can for color but want a good clear coat over it! Or is there maybe some other type of sealer u can use over the clear coat?

Comment

Originally posted by plexlove View Post
        What kind of paints can u get that are gas resistance as far as clear coat goes? I am painting mine with a rattle can for color but want a good clear coat over it! Or is there maybe some other type of sealer u can use over the clear coat?
        Have never seen a gas resistant clear in a can.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

you can get it! Not at a automotive store tho. Go to an automotive paint supplier (the ones the body shops get their stuff from) and ask them to mix you up some of their clear in a rattle can. Most places will do this, and will also mix any color paint under the sun in a can for you.

It might just be easier and cheaper to just paint it yourself and take the take to a bodyshop and get them to shoot it with clearcoat. A gas tank should only take like 30mins to do so i cant see the bill being high

Comment

Spraymax 2k clear

Used it myself and around $18.00 an can.

SprayMax now offers a 2 part (2K) Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat. This 2k urethane Clear Coat spray has a much higher U.V. and weather resistance than any standard aerosol clearcoat on the market today.

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Hey Devin, I seen you said your bike is a 2000. So did you put pre Kat front fairing on your post Kat? Also if you did what head light assembly did you go with? Pre? or Post? Did you end up getting the paint job done? If so Could you post up some pic? I would love to see the finished product. TIA.
              1996 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
              X