X

I crashed..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I crashed..

Hi guys, riding out with my brother tonight I was going down a road I've been on a thousand times and like a moron I misjudged a turn and came in too hot, hit the brakes and my kat came out from under me. slid on its left side into the ditch and picked up some damage along the way. I'm basically fine except for some road rash on my side, but I'm happy to walk away with just that.

My main concern now is getting her healthy again. I rode it home, so it's nothing serious. It started right back up and sounded fine. Didn't feel any wobbles or anything, as far as I can tell the frame is nice and straight, it didn't take any hard hits.

But what is missing/broken is the left mirror, left footpeg (whole bracket is bent) Handle bar, Clutch lever and the left side is scratched up but I can live with that considering a new fairing would probably run me something in the 200-300 range.

Does anyone have any advice on where to shop for these things? I'd love to have it up and running as soon as possible. I'll probably go out to the garage and try to bend the handlebar/footpeg so that the bike is ridable again, but I'll want to replace those I'm sure.

Thanks so much for the help and I promise not to do this again lol.

eBay, guys on here parts their bikes out so if you look around you could find reasonable something.

Good to know your safe the bike can be repaired!

blue 2001 Katana 600 - Hindle slip on, Hole shot 5 degree ignition advancer

Comment

Glad to know you're ok.
      "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

lt dan does NOT have legs!

carry on...
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Glad you're OK (relatively).
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks guys. My dad pointed out there's a great used jap bike shop nearby that I'll go check out and probably buy the rest of what I need from ebay. I also realized it's leaking oil. It looks like it's from a crack in the crank case.. cover? on the left side, looks like it's just a plate that will come off with a few screws. If anyone has any insight to this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Ugh, every ten minutes for the past two hours my body has hurt more and more as the adrenaline has worn off lol, tomorrow will suck.

Thanks again, I'm glad this is all the worse my first bike wreck was. Don't plan on having any in my future.

Comment

Glad you're ok..... unless you have a bike salvage shop near you, be prepared to wait for whatever route you take. I've dealt with bikebandit a few times for items, and they're pretty cool.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Good to hear your ok.
                You body will feel like you got the crap beat out of you the next two days or so, but it goes away.
                2005 Gsx600f- My baby
                1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
                Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

I agree with ebay or the for sale forum here for most parts. You might wanna go ahead and order the bar new though. It is my experience that a used handle bars that's straight costs almost as much as a new one.
                  Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Everybody goes down eventually. Congrats on still being above ground.

In the future, though, if you think you are coming into a turn too hot, locking up the brakes isn't the appropriate solution. At least TRY to make the turn. Best case scenario, you make it and learn that your limits are actually higher than you thought they were. Worst case scenario, you hit the deck like you were going to anyway.

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                    I agree with ebay or the for sale forum here for most parts. You might wanna go ahead and order the bar new though. It is my experience that a used handle bars that's straight costs almost as much as a new one.
                    As simple as handlebars are, I would think somebody would have started racking them out in their garage. Maybe there isn't enough demand?
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                      As simple as handlebars are, I would think somebody would have started racking them out in their garage. Maybe there isn't enough demand?
                      Cheriff does some incredible solid stainless steel bars and stainless bar ends with leds. The problem with making basic oem equivalent bars is that they are only like $35 each new and you'd need to get close to that if not more to make them between materials and time. And bars are often bent in the least little drop, so there aren't many good straight ones around to drop the used price.

Cheriff's bars may have a bit of sticker shock, but they are worth 5 times what you pay. Not only will they not bend, being solid stainless steel, but they are nice and heavy so they cut the vibration way down. In my opinion, they are the best long run investment. But, if you aren't ready to jump in that deep, it's easier to order new ones rather than try to get a good deal on straight used ones, and only a matter of a few bucks, if that, more expensive.
                      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                        Everybody goes down eventually. Congrats on still being above ground.

In the future, though, if you think you are coming into a turn too hot, locking up the brakes isn't the appropriate solution. At least TRY to make the turn. Best case scenario, you make it and learn that your limits are actually higher than you thought they were. Worst case scenario, you hit the deck like you were going to anyway.
                        Oh I agree with you here, it was just rider error. I'm 19 and I've only been riding for 2 1/2 years and haven't really been in that kind of an emergency situation before and my brain just said, "STOP AS SOON AS YOU CAN" which just locked up both wheels.

Thanks for the positive support everyone, I'm just trying to get my bike up and running to get back out there again.

My back hurts worse than it ever has after the biggest hit I ever took playing football lol.

Comment

thank god you're okay. good luck with the repairs.
                          ...I dream of things that never were, and I ask why not.

Comment

Working...
                          X