No announcement yet.
X

Powder Coating Wheels... Balance issue?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coating Wheels... Balance issue?

So i am wanting to powder coat my rims on my 96 Kat 600. I still have connections at my old high school where i can get it done for free if not just for cost of paint. my dad told me that powder coating my rims would be a bad idea because it would make the rims unbalanced bc of the uneven coating and ECoating would make a more even coat and be better for rims. But i cant find any place that ECoats for walk-ins. I was just wondering if all this were true? And what is the comparison(Pros/Cons) between the two processes?

Originally posted by GolferGeek View Post
    So i am wanting to powder coat my rims on my 96 Kat 600. I still have connections at my old high school where i can get it done for free if not just for cost of paint. my dad told me that powder coating my rims would be a bad idea because it would make the rims unbalanced bc of the uneven coating and ECoating would make a more even coat and be better for rims. But i cant find any place that ECoats for walk-ins. I was just wondering if all this were true? And what is the comparison(Pros/Cons) between the two processes?

???

No offense, but your source of info has little idea what they are talking about.

Balance isn't a concern here. Rims and tires are not in perfect balance to start with, and an few oz of paint spread across the rim isn't going to change that much.

When you mount a tire, it's balanced at that point by adding weights to it. Paint the rim, put the tire on, then it's "balanced" based on what that setup needs.

As for the paints...

Powdercoat is the longest lasting and best choices in colors, ease of finding a source.

E-Coat is generally used in factory setups and not a quick "color change" option as you need a large "dip pool" of the paint color. If you found a source, it would be limited colors.

Spray paint (gun or rattle can) will work, but is easier to damage. A good spray gun paint with the right hardner on a single stage paint will last a good while though.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

These are both powder coated and balanced, no issues.

Comment

No offense taken Krey. My source is more of a car guy and he has been out of the industry for a while. He was just confusing me and i wanted to get a straight answer from the forum. It has been so much help so far.

and arsenic, those look pretty sweet. i am probably going to do Red rims. possibly Candy Red to go with my scheme.

Comment

Working...
        X