X

Clear coat work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat work

Ok i put my clear coat on my fairing parts, the fist 2 coat went on real nice, but as i was applying the 3rd,4th,& 5th, what look like air bubbles appeared in my clear coat job. the little filter that goes inside the sprayer got cloged so i took it out, and thats when the air bubbles problem started. I also have a few runs in my coat, I was wondering can the bubbles & runs be buffed out?. or what can i do 2 fix my problems with my clear coat job. Help!!!!!

Holy crap 5 coats??? 2 medium coats would have been enough. Wait till it's dry and wet sand it down, if you get lucky you wont have to re-shoot it. Are you sure it air bubbles and not grit?
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Wet sand with a 2000 grit.

Comment

holy %$#@ why 5 coats?

first off never used the filter in the gun
        clean your equipment and flush it with thinner first, then use Paint filters when pouring the paint into the gun cup.

2 coats is enough... 3 if your clearing over grafix or multi steps paint layers etc. 2 med coats and 1 wet coat.

you got bubbles because the clear is WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAY to thick and the paint cant gas out properly before the next layer was added.
        A med coat and a wet coat after the first has tacked up is all you need.

sand it and start over.
        Last edited by hardlydangerous; 05-15-2011, 12:10 PM.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
          holy %$#@ why 5 coats?
          because 5 coats on a bike leaves you plenty of room for buffing out scratches in the future, and can look a hell of a lot better than just two coats.

the thing is, putting on 5 coats requires one of two things. first.....use a very fast drying reducer so that you can lay down all 5 coats without the runs, if you do it all in one shot. or two....do two or three coats, then let it cure for a day, then scuff it up with a scotch-brite pad and add another couple of coats.

I always have at least 4 or 5 coats of clear on bikes that I paint. what freaks me out is when people put on 4 or 5 coats of primer and the same for the base.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
          X