X

Broken Tab Repair

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Tab Repair

I've been searching KR, have found great articles on filling cracks and repairing fairing bolt holes. Just haven't been able to find a fix for the broken tab that holds the leading edge of the side fairing in place. My plastics are in pretty good shape, but this one piece is snapped clean off (see pic).

Broken Tab.jpg

Thoughts, ideas on how to make a structural repair like that?
    1988 GSX1100F - moving under its own power! Final assembly, carb balancing, etc.

Getting closer!!!

Like to know that myself. I inherited a bunch of 1100 plastic when I bought my bike and several have that piece broken off. If you can't get it fixed let me know. I have a couple that aren't broken that I haven't gotten around to listing on e-bay yet.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I've used ABS cement to re-create entire sections of fairings and tabs. The trick I have found is to use a layering approach (don't just fill the mold, coat the mold with a thin layer and repeat as nessasary, sand the shiny suface between each new layer to open any vapor poors that formed to be filled by the next layer.)

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Permatex plastic weld 2 part epoxy hand down...

I have ABS cement ABS glue, SG plastic fusion, and a plastic welding kit etc etc...
        none of it is as good for repairs... ABS is brittle and so is the ABS cement. plastic also gets brittle once heated and welded. I repair dozens of bikes a year anbd this stuff is the best.

Heck I even use the permatex plastic weld for making parts such as choke levers, throttle sleeve repairs... I even used it to repair shattered a jet driveon a PWC.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Made some good progress with the ABS, although if it fails I will definitely have a go at the Permatex!

My first trial was a total failure. Made a mold with modeling clay and poured the cement straight into it. As anyone knows who tried this, nothing but a soft, gooey piece. The mold looked cool, though!

Kat Repair 4.jpg

Second try was much more successful. Bought a small coupling piece of ABS - and using the good clip on the other side as a guide - cut and formed a piece that matched. With a light coat of cement on the new clip and the original mount, pressed together and held tight with a zip tie.

Kat Repair 8.jpg Kat Repair 10.jpg Kat Repair 11.jpg

Next day, was very solid. Sanded the part smooth, plan to paint next weekend.

If it doesn't hold, Permatex will be the next round, for sure.
          1988 GSX1100F - moving under its own power! Final assembly, carb balancing, etc.

Getting closer!!!

Comment

Working...
          X