X

removing decals easily

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing decals easily

So, I have been doing some major research online trying to find the easiest way to remove decals from my bike. I have seen and tried everything from WD40, kerosene, goo gone, windex, alcohol, and many other cleaners and nothing has worked like what I used last night. I cannot believe how easy it was to remove. It was almost one of those "it has to be too good to be true." At least that's what I thought when I first started doing it. While doing my research, I came across this invention called "Wonder Wheel." It's a rubber wheel that you put in a drill and it removes the decal with ease and no scratching the paint. After, I removed the 750 sticker, the glue was still there. I tried everything and nothing would even start to remove it. I thought about the Wonder Wheel and thought to myself that I would buy one to get it off. Then I thought I would find some rubber and just try a little section to see what would happen. At first, I thought I was scratching the hell out of my paint, but when I wiped it clean and threw a little wax on there; it was "showroom" quality and no scratches. I was amazed at how easy it was and still no damage to the paint. Don't know if anyone else is familiar with this or has tried it or has tried the Wonder Wheel, but I'm a firm believer now with how easy and perfect it was. I never saw anything else about this except the Wonder Wheel which gave me the idea.

First Pic: This is the decal I removed. I first sprayed a little WD40 around the edges. Then, I heated up the entire decal with a hair dryer for about a minute and got it good and hot.

Second Pic: Removing the sticker. This was very easy!

Third Pic: Glue left from under the sticker.

Fourth Pic: The rubber that I used to remove the glue was the part of a baseball tee that holds the baseball. I heated the glue up with the hair dryer for another minute and got it good and hot. Then, I used just a hard back and forth motion the full length of the decal. You will notice that it turns it black and will look like eraser shavings. This is the glue that mixes with the rubber and forms a clump.

Fifth Pic: This was a shot halfway through the glue removal.

Sixth Pic: All of glue removed. All that's left are the little clumps of rubber and glue and a black haze discoloration.

Seventh Pic: This is the plastic cleaner that I used, but I would think that any cleaner would probably do as well.

Eighth Pic: This is the wax I used, but I would think any wax would do, too.

This process took me about 10-15 mins for this one decal.

I will post final pic next due to me reaching my limit in this one. Just curious if anyone else has ever used this method? Like I said, I have never heard of it other than the Wonder Wheel.
    Attached Files
    It's not considered cheating if it's a motorcycle, right???

2006 Katana 750

Final Pic
    Attached Files

2006 Katana 750

Comment

One more thing to mention. This was not a sticker with a clear coat over the top of it. Pretty sure it would not have the same outcome for one like that.

2006 Katana 750

Comment

I will be trying this either today or tomorrow i'm very excited i've been wanting to "strip" my bike of its lame badges for a while now, thanks so much for the info. Very clear and great post good work. thanks

Comment

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

tl;dr: http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/astr...e-p-11632.aspx
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Interesting
            I read the thread that you posted. I wonder it that wax wheel is something similar to the Wonder Wheel? Another thing is the tennis ball cut in half and turned inside out, pretty neat. I'll bet that'll work too. It never occurred to me to try that. I laugh now because I was looking around my garage for some type of rubber, and there sits the much needed baseball tee.

2006 Katana 750

Comment

I removed mine with a hair dryer, goo gone and a micro fiber towel without much effort. Then again, it was only ridden for a month or so after leaving the showroom when I did that. Maybe that's why mine were so easy.
              ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
              チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
              Semper Fi

Comment

50% whitespirit 50% ethanol has worked every time for me.
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I just used a hair dryer and goo gone. I had no issues!

Comment

I used to work at a sign shop, heat guns were the best thing to use, used it on my Kat too, gotta be careful not to get it too hot though, paint will bubble. A heat gun can reactivate stickers/decals and make them sticky again, even if they are years and years old. Just a tip!
                    "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
                    Chris
                    graphic designer | drummer
                    2002 Katana 600
                    Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

Napa sells a pinstripe remover wheel
                      Like an oversized round pink pencil eraser on a drill mandrel
                      Just need to be careful not to burn the paint
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Just bought a 96 Kat 750 with the ghey orange and purple decals....needless to say they are in the process of coming off as I type this. Just needed a break.

My method is hair dryer on high heat....pull decal.....use wd40 in large amounts on a rag attached to my belt sander and get at the remaining glue...seems to work fine and no discolor. Will post before and afters later today.
                        Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

Comment

Well after about 5 hours my way only worked on one section of the bike. The rear decals came right off, but left every inch of glue on the plastics. Scrubbed forever and have made no head way. I am at a lose, and the bike is getting set up and trailored to the shop for carb sync and inspection. I will deal with the glue later.

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by str8poolbanger View Post
                            Well after about 5 hours my way only worked on one section of the bike. The rear decals came right off, but left every inch of glue on the plastics. Scrubbed forever and have made no head way. I am at a loss, and the bike is getting set up and trailored to the shop for carb sync and inspection. I will deal with the glue later.
                            There...fixed it for ya, Dave.

Try laying the bike ungently on the ground, and dragging it to and fro. That'll get the badges off.
                            ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                            Semper Fi

Comment

haha Scout the grammar cop!
                              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                              X