Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Do OEM gas tanks come with heat shields?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do OEM gas tanks come with heat shields?

Anyone ever bought a new gas tank for a 98+ Kat and know whether they come with the heat shields already applied to the undersides, or do I need to buy those separately? A stupid neighbor backed into my immaculate '00 Kat 600 and knocked it over, denting the tank. His insurance is paying, but I have to do the ordering and repairs to keep the total low enough for them not to total it. So I'll be getting a new tank from Ron Ayers or someplace like that - just don't know how complete a new tank is in terms of the pre-applied bits. I've ordered body panels before and they come with stickers, and I'm sure the tank has the Suzuki emblem on since it's under the clearcoat, but I'm not sure about the set of heat shields on the bottom of the tank.

Just buy any heat shield material, for like under a hood or on a firewall, same stuff, perhaps better. They sell it in various lengths, widths, and what not. Try Jegs or summit.

Comment

That's a decent idea - Suzuki wants about $80 for the set of OEM ones (at the cheapest online place I can find). I can certainly do better than that with generic shield material, and I've got no issue cutting my own shapes to fit since I'll have the old ones as a pattern on the tank being replaced.

Comment

umm, why not just remove the old ones and use them?
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

They look to be self-adhesive, so my assumption was that they will not come off without damage. Am I wrong about that?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM View Post
            They look to be self-adhesive, so my assumption was that they will not come off without damage. Am I wrong about that?

Could go either way....

I would just get some generic and cut out new for a new tank... the old ones do deteriate with age.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM View Post

no, you're right. they are self adhesive. I have removed them a couple of times. It requires a heat gun, a putty knife, and patience.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
              X