X

Windscreen Paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen Paint

I have read a bunch of threads on painting the windscreen, but I can't find the answer to this question. Where do you stop the mask? I haven't seen a picture detailed enough to be able to tell. I am obviously going to mask the front of the wind screen and paint the back, but do you paint the bubble along the edge too? Just the back of it? If somebody could send a detailed pic I would appreciate it.

Edit: Finished it, check out the pics further down.
    Last edited by stonefry; 10-19-2010, 04:26 PM.

I would like to know this also, I have a couple of OEM spares laying around I could play with!!!
    99 Ford F150 4x4
    04 Mustang GT
    2010 Camaro SS
    06 GSX600F
    sigpic

Comment

i have a 2003 kat 600 . previous owner painted windscreen on the underside black to the fairing .looks ok at distance but up close or in the sun looks like water spots pretty crappy .thinking about replacing it with dark smoke double bubble

Comment

Ahhhh! Who would of thought! Anyone have one that possibly might look good???
        99 Ford F150 4x4
        04 Mustang GT
        2010 Camaro SS
        06 GSX600F
        sigpic

Comment

In the process of painting now. I masked along the seam at the very edge of the screen. I put the tape on and used a razor blade to cut it at the seam. I'll take pics later (if it looks good).

Comment

I would highly suggest removing the screen entirely then painting it stand-alone.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBrant View Post
              I would highly suggest removing the screen entirely then painting it stand-alone.
              I didn't really think to mention that, but of course I removed it.

Comment

You can see the seam in this macro shot with a flash, but trust me, it is absolutely invisible to the naked eye even in direct sunlight.
                I am very pleased with the result. I used Krylon Fusion for plastics gloss black.

It's really hard to get a shot of this thing without my reflection sneaking into the shot.

My next (much bigger) project is to get rid of that rash
                Last edited by stonefry; 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Looks sweet dude. I think I may have found another little winter project.
                  One question though, did you think to use VHT Nightshade so that you would still have some visibility?
                  "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

I never ride while looking through my windscreen so it wasn't worth the cost for me.

Comment

Originally posted by stonefry View Post
                      I never ride while looking through my windscreen so it wasn't worth the cost for me.
                      Yeah, who gets that low anyways, even if I lay on my tank, I can still see over the top!
                      99 Ford F150 4x4
                      04 Mustang GT
                      2010 Camaro SS
                      06 GSX600F
                      sigpic

Comment

looks great. I've been researching this and doing this this winter.

Comment

It's one of those real cheap mods that adds a ton to the bike IMO. I didn't see it mentioned, but scuff the backside with a scotchbrite pad before painting for better paint adhesion.
                          2000 Katana 600
                          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

But wouldn't you be able to see the scratches through the front?

Comment

Actually I did mine with paint for R/C car bodies. Its specially made to bond to the lexan bodies. Works great and don't have to worry bout scuffing up the windscreen. Thats the better way to go IMO, and you can get it at any local hobby shop, I also have used the window tint paint to do the inside of my signals and tail-light. Have never had an issue
                              01 Katana 750
                              520 conv
                              Yoshi slip on

Dont run, you'll only die tired

Comment

Working...
                              X