No announcement yet.
X

Carbon fiber for the masses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a cool idea. I have a experience in fiberglass and mold making. I worked at a boat yard building million dollar custom boats. If you need advice or would like to know the tricks of the trade or better and cheaper materials to use for your molds. Shoot me a pm or ask crash for my number. The kat that's my avatar is half fiberglass.

Comment

custom.... one off.... that's got a ring to it. you know?

make it look good.
      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
      Tony
      94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by pbkat03 View Post
        This is a cool idea. I have a experience in fiberglass and mold making. I worked at a boat yard building million dollar custom boats. If you need advice or would like to know the tricks of the trade or better and cheaper materials to use for your molds. Shoot me a pm or ask crash for my number. The kat that's my avatar is half fiberglass.
        The mold making kit I recieved from Eastbaycomposites.com has me useing Bondo to make the molds from. I presume this would be ok for the smaller parts. Is it alright for some of the larger pannels? I'm only working on smaller parts at the moment so I'm not worried about the Bondo not working for the bigger ones. It will take some time to get some parts out and satisfy some of the riders here before I work on bigger parts.

I do thank everyone for being patient. Remember, I'm only one person, I have a family and job, and for the moment I'm kinda new to this. Also I havn't figured out a fair system of who I should take orders from first.

Does anyone have the rights to the Katriders logo (if there is one) or the use of the word "Katriders?" I was thinking about something custom on the side of the guard.

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
        custom.... one off.... that's got a ring to it. you know?
        The idea is to make a mold so I can reproduce it as many times as people want.
        Last edited by chrisgreer23; 10-10-2010, 06:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
        -Unholy m-
        Current project: Un-Katchable
        sigpic

Comment

If you would like to talk about the issues you will have building your molds and hand laying your parts. Shoot me a pm for my number. I wish I had the patience that cp had for thousand word how to's and such.

Comment

Well I have a riveter so we could solve that issue. I would actually prefer no triangles/ trapezoids cut in.
            Originally posted by chrisgreer23
            Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
            2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
            1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
            2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
            1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
              Well I have a riveter so we could solve that issue. I would actually prefer no triangles/ trapezoids cut in.
              Chris, your the only one who has commented on what to do with the triangles/trapezoids besides il_ragazzo telling me to "make it look good." So you've got it. No holes in it (plus its easier ).
              Last edited by chrisgreer23; 10-10-2010, 09:38 PM.
              I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
              -Unholy m-
              sigpic

Comment

I took my chain guard off and chunked it in the garbage. Because I didn't like the looks of it. But it's probably just to stiffen it up. Shouldn't be a problem with cf.

Comment

Chain guard

Chain Guard work log

Stripped the rivets. Good ole Craftsman screwdriver:

Those metal brackets were inside to keep it stiff:

Required lots of cleaning:

And ready to sand/prep for making the mold:

By the way the cleaning of the metal brackets weren't necessary. I'm just a perfectionist
                  -Unholy m-
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm waiting to see how this turns out.

Comment

Chain Guard worklog

Next is to sand the inside of the guard and figure a way to brace the sides:

The top left diagram is what I want to see. At the moment, the sides want to come together like the bottom diagram. I plan on cutting a pvc pipe and put about three pieces between the sides to prop them wider then they are. These pipes will part of the mold and will ad stability (top right)

This also satisfies my perfectionism.

I plan on working on this a little more tomorrow. It's now 2:36am and my brain is telling me I should sleep. My heart is still here with the project -_-
                      Last edited by chrisgreer23; 10-11-2010, 11:19 AM.
                      -Unholy m-
                      sigpic

Comment

If you need an 88-96 fairing set to use, i live in orlando and finally made my 750 presentable(bought all new fairings, gauges, ECT off ebay).

So if you need a mold i could ride up every now and then to lend ya pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by ZkatFL96 View Post
                          If you need an 88-96 fairing set to use, i live in orlando and finally made my 750 presentable(bought all new fairings, gauges, ECT off ebay).

So if you need a mold i could ride up every now and then to lend ya pieces.
                          Ok. I'll let you know. I may need the 750 tail section as it's different from the 600cc. I have a pre 600 on the way which I'll use for the 600cc molds.
                          -Unholy m-
                          sigpic

Comment

Chain Guard worklog

Pictures of the brace I made:

I cut notches in on both sides so the filler can fill the inside of the pipe pieces. If you don't see what I'm going to do, you'll see.

I can't continue because I don't have the resperator or the gram scale I ordered. I could probably work without a resperator if I worked outside but a gram scale stops the show for the moment.
                            Last edited by chrisgreer23; 10-11-2010, 12:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            -Unholy m-
                            sigpic

Comment

So by your drawings you are going to make a mold of the inside of the part? I'm definately watching now.

Comment

Originally posted by pbkat03 View Post
                                So by your drawings you are going to make a mold of the inside of the part? I'm definitely watching now.
                                Yes the tooling gel/bondo will go on the inside. The reason for this is it will be easier to lay the Carbon on the outside rather then the inside.

As an update, my respirator and gram scale came in a day or two ago. The problem I have now is with the gram scale. To zero it, it's telling me to put a 500g standard weight on it. WHO HAS ONE OF THOSE LYING AROUND?!?!
                                -Unholy m-
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X