No announcement yet.
X

Carbon fiber for the masses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I met up with Chris today to drop off the chain guard that I have. He's a great guy with a good plan. I can't wait to see what he turns out.
    Originally posted by chrisgreer23
    Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
    2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
    1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
    2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
    1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Comment

I am definately watching this thread closely. if you need a midwest distributor, let me know. haha

in my experience, small/cheaper pieces will sell fast. I go on ebay and impulse buy all kinds of crap for my car, snowmobile, motorcycle around $25.

If you want to get into the snowmobile market, there are a TON of plastic parts that could be made with CF and sell easily im sure. I can find parts that would be easy to replicate and send you parts for molds if you want to get into that in the future. check out this link. http://www.c3powersports.com/catalog/carbon-fiber
      2006 Suzuki GSX600 Katana - 5k miles, shaved tail, gps cradle and hardwired, LED turn signals

Previous Bikes: 1992 Kawasaki Ninja ZX600C - SOLD

Comment

Heres the deal. In about 30 mins I should be getting paid (not that I'm counting down every last second ). My point is that I should be getting a rather large paycheck, roughly double what I normaly get. I had plans on getting a Kat with the extra mula but what I think I'll do is order a TON of materialz I need for about half the molds and enough CF to cover quite a few parts. I have to make sure bills are paid but I should be able to drop a good couple hundred on some stuffs.

I'll post again with what I get ordered.

Stay tuned...

Originally posted by phil823 View Post
        I deff want a Carbon Fiber Tank cover for a post! i can pay upfront if that helps!
        Not needed just yet but thank you for your support. I'll let you know when I've sused out what I'll do with a potential tank cover. Still don't know how I'll do it in my head.

-I gata tell you guys I'm usually someone who procrastonates ALOT. I'm hoping this thread will keep me going to get stuff done and keep you all posted as I go. I can't wait to see some finished products and some action shots of you guys with some smiles across your faces and some carbon fiber bikes.
        Last edited by chrisgreer23; 09-30-2010, 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
        -Unholy m-
        Current project: Un-Katchable
        sigpic

Comment

i keep you on your toes i want the first cf kat
          1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold

Comment

I just ordered everything I'll need to make the first few molds and parts. I also ordered a gram scale and a resperator from harborfreight.com. Hope things get here soon and that I have a place to make this stuff by the time it all gets here
            Last edited by chrisgreer23; 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM.
            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
            -Unholy m-
            sigpic

Comment

Still no boxes in -_-. Are they taking there time or am I just impatient?
              -Unholy m-
              sigpic

Comment

Probably a little bit of both, Im still waiting for my LED lights and my jacket
                1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold

Comment

Hey man, sounds cool for sure.! Don't forget about us guys with pre's!! Looking forward to what you come up with.
                  89 Katana 750
                  06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

Originally posted by Malarky112 View Post
                    Hey man, sounds cool for sure.! Don't forget about us guys with pre's!! Looking forward to what you come up with.
                    My heart is with the pre's. The bike I will be riding soon is a pre and will be using it's fairings for molds probably before even Crash's bike. Sorry Crash. My main reason for doing this as I've said is because (back when I had a pre) I couldn't find any aftermarket stuff for my bike. My camp is with the pre's and I'll have nothing else .
                    Last edited by chrisgreer23; 10-07-2010, 09:33 AM.
                    -Unholy m-
                    sigpic

Comment

oh yeah cant wait to see what u come up with for the pres

Comment

i have so many ideas for perfectly functioning carbon fiber parts that should be really easy to make! Anything that isn't under pressure and is almost flat should be relatively easy to make. (compared to fairing.) custom sprocket covers, heel guards, chain guards ect...

you know small things that have a quick turn around. that if mucked up it's not much of a waste. can be made fairly quickly and cheap. once you get a good base for how many people will actually buy CF parts. you can make an estimate of how many people will spring for the full fairings. people start to trust your work too. not to mention you might learn a thing or two that you might not have predicted making smaller parts first, instead of running into a giant katana sized problem.

katriders have had many vendors that made really great stuff but it's just too expensive for most of us. and there is always demand pre production. but when it comes down to the dollars post production we are too broke to buy.

to be honest. i would love carbon fiber body work.... but i know even at materials cost i can't afford it. but i'm sure i can afford some small custom tid-bits that look great.

looking forward to see your work!

Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

So my wife informs me that a box arived today. Could be the stuff I need for the molds, could be a pre98 solo cowl I ordered, or it could be a resperator I ordered. Won't be able to open it till I get home -_-
                          -Unholy m-
                          sigpic

Comment

So my materialz came in!! All together with shipping was $144

Materialz for the molds:

And the Carbon Fiber materials needed for the finished product:

I've actually ordered this stuff from Eastbaycomposites.com but from now on I'll just be buying the materialz I'll need from other sources. Most likely in bulk and for WAY better prices.
                            -Unholy m-
                            sigpic

Comment

Ohhhh can't wait for the chain guard now.
                              1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
                                Ohhhh can't wait for the chain guard now.
                                Some issues I have with the chain guard:

There is a piece of metal riveted onto the plastic on the inside (actually two):

Solution 1: I can leave the metal out of the finished product. This will then be a "for looks only" part as it won't be strong enough to really stave off the attacks of a broken chain.

Solution 2: I can rivet the metal piece back in. Only problem is I don't have a rivet tool…yet. If I am still able to use the metal bracket, I'll need this metal part from any customer who orders a chain guard from me. Or they can put it in themselves. Can anyone tell me what size the rivets are?

There are four triangle/trapezoid holes on the side:

Solution 1: I can manually cut them out with my dremel once I finish the part. I don’t recommend this because it won’t look the same as the original.

Solution 2: I could make the part with no holes.

What do you/the rest of you guys think? Or should I be "like Nike" and just do it?
                                Last edited by chrisgreer23; 10-10-2010, 09:21 PM.
                                -Unholy m-
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X