No announcement yet.
X

Carbon fiber for the masses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interesting. I'll be watching. IMHO, I think hte smaller pieces would move better. The gauge cluster area is an intrigiuing idea.
    sigpic
    Pepe Bouchard

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the mounting points are pretty much just holes in the plastic right? I've owned a pre and a post which I've taken apart and I didn't see much more then overlapping fairing pieces with wholes in them. I defiantly won't be shipping out pieces that just resembled the fairings. They would be full pieces ready to bolt straight on as direct replacements.

Now for the wholes I do plan on using metal washers inside the carbon sheets and the wholes will be drilled out before I ship them.

there are a few posts that come off of the back of the fairings that go into rubber grommets for alignment, as well as a few tabs that help align the fairings properly. I'll see if I can find some pictures of what I am reffering to. Theses small posts and tabs are somewhat essential to proper alignment and structure of the fairings.
      Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
      '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Well considering im the closest to him i'll probably have the first carbon fiber post kat. Which will essentially help everyone else out since he'll have molds for everything.
        Last edited by Crash; 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM.
        Originally posted by chrisgreer23
        Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
        2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
        1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
        2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
        1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Comment

im a little confused atm is it just covering existing parts or is it molding them and then makeing the actual peices that stand alone????
          time to nut up or shut up
          Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
          The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

What do you suppose the brand be? I could be boring and simply put my name. Or maybe CC (Carbon Creations, or Carbon Craft).

Does anyone know about the legality of this little business? I'll be producing parts for myself as well as others. So f someone asks me, I can say It's all for personal use. Anyone know what the law is on reporting incomes for tax perposes? I do realize that operating a business in a residential are isn't such hot thing to do but at the moment while i do things on a small scale, I don't care.

If anyone can tell me what the law says then I'll at least know what to do to skirt arounds things. Knowing is half the battle.
            Your taxes get complicated once you start operating a business out of your house. You get to deduct your business expenses, losses on business property, and an amount for whatever portion of your house you use for business purposes....... but you get taxed pretty thoroughly on whatever is left afterward. If you aren't really comfortable with taxes, I'd tell you to keep very detailed records of everything and have somebody do them for you at the end of the year.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              Your taxes get complicated once you start operating a business out of your house. You get to deduct your business expenses, losses on business property, and an amount for whatever portion of your house you use for business purposes....... but you get taxed pretty thoroughly on whatever is left afterward. If you aren't really comfortable with taxes, I'd tell you to keep very detailed records of everything and have somebody do them for you at the end of the year.
              I don't plan on claiming anything on taxes. I just want to know what I'm supposed to be paying/claiming.

Originally posted by 1990gsx 600 View Post
              im a little confused atm is it just covering existing parts or is it molding them and then makeing the actual peices that stand alone????
              Both. I prefer to make stand alone pieces but if you really want something covered because it's cheaper, I can.
              Last edited by chrisgreer23; 09-20-2010, 08:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
              -Unholy m-
              Current project: Un-Katchable
              sigpic

Comment

Gas tank COVER! im very hyped out about that!
                03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
                04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
                08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
                10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
                05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Do you have access to an autoclave large enough to do fairings?
                  That requires a big-arse oven, dude...unless you're using some other sort of bonding/curing process that I'm not aware of (which could be).

That's one of the main reasons that someone on KR hasn't already made fairings...the autoclave necessary to fire the pieces when complete.

But if you've got the goods and are able to produce quality stuff, you'll have lots of members lining up to buy...me included. I wouldn't mind turning my pre and my post fairings and cowls into 100% CF.
                  -
                  -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
                    Do you have access to an autoclave large enough to do fairings?
                    That requires a big-arse oven, dude...unless you're using some other sort of bonding/curing process that I'm not aware of (which could be).

That's one of the main reasons that someone on KR hasn't already made fairings...the autoclave necessary to fire the pieces when complete.

But if you've got the goods and are able to produce quality stuff, you'll have lots of members lining up to buy...me included. I wouldn't mind turning my pre and my post fairings and cowls into 100% CF.
                    The method I'm useing is to make a mold first of the part. Then apply a layer of epoxy, gentely place a sheet of carbon fiber in the mold useing a paint brush. Then another layer of epoxy, sheet of carbon, epoxy, carbon and then a final coat of epoxy. Once it all sets, cuf off the access, break it from the mold, then sand and treat the outside of the part against the elements. I may not end uo with a sleek, weapons grade part but it will have stronger properties then the origonal part and will be made of carbon fiber.

I realize there are other ways, but this is the way I will be doing it.
                    Last edited by chrisgreer23; 09-24-2010, 02:51 PM.
                    I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                    -Unholy m-
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't plan on claiming anything on taxes. I just want to know what I'm supposed to be paying/claiming.
                      Pretty much whatever you make, minus expenses to earn it. Keep very detailed records and receipts of everything that you buy for this stuff. At least then if you get audited you can deduct them from the income you never paid taxes on.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                        Pretty much whatever you make, minus expenses to earn it. Keep very detailed records and receipts of everything that you buy for this stuff. At least then if you get audited you can deduct them from the income you never paid taxes on.
                        Sounds good. I'll keep the records not only for myself but for my customers. I want to stay true to my word and only pass on the cost of materials and shipping to you guys. Like I said, any tip would be very helpfull as I have a new baby in the house:

Welcome to KatRiders.com! We're glad you found us!
                        Please take a minute to introduce yourself and tell us about your bike.
                        -Unholy m-
                        sigpic

Comment

Would be interested in dash pcs for an 1100.Have couple extra sets to play with.
                          Left mine in black primer till finishing up bike this winter, like the black after riding around, fiber would look perfect for these.You can see in 1100 section - T McCall
                          Know all too well about molds and such, practice makes perfect!
                          Not on here much , you can always reach at www.mccallcolors.com
                          Thanks....Terry

Comment

Mad props to ya, man. I think what you're doing's awesome; I admire the entrepeneurial spirit. Curiousity question, how shiny is carbon fiber? Sometimes with the sun at my back I get reflected light shining in my eyes coming off the area where the forks attach.

I've been working on a solo cowl myself, and just finally had to throw it in the trash. I'll take another attempt or two at it, but if that doesn't work either then I'm just gonna buy one, and I'd rather support someone such as yourself than some overpriced mass-production company.

So, keep posting and I'll probably be hittin you up here in a couple months.

Oh, and as for the thing with the taxes: first and foremost I don't recommend anyone break the law. If what you're doing is a hobby and not a business, then its possible you may not be technically receiving income and therefore don't really owe taxes on it. Granted Uncle Sam will take every penny He can convince you to pay. You might want to think about something more difficult to track such as money orders instead of personal checks or paypal.
                            The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

Ok. I've had a setback. I ordered some materials to make the molds and the orders got canceled due to insuficient funds. Maybe I should visit the dragons den and see if they will loan me some money to get me started. I get payed on Friday so I'll re-order then. Thanks Bart for the compliments. I got ****ed off with no one making aftermarket parts for our bikes and thats what got me started on this.
                              -Unholy m-
                              sigpic

Comment

I deff want a Carbon Fiber Tank cover for a post! i can pay upfront if that helps!
                                03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
                                04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
                                08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
                                10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
                                05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Working...
                                X