X

Serious Fairing Work!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Fairing Work!!!

I would first like to thank everyone who has helped me out in the past. you guys are great! I bought a '91 600-F last year. the guy who owned it before me didnt really take good care of it, but it had 11k miles, so I picked it up. he rattlecanned the fairing... flat black. he also mounted the front turn signals on the fairing by drilling holes.... someone hit and ran my bike a few weeks ago. the turn signal pushed into the bike and cracked and punctured the fairing, not to mention the crappy rattlecan w/o clearcoat paintjob shattered right off. so my question is, to respray it flat black, should I also remove all of the paint from the fairing, or and I just spo- sand, buff prime n go?

just noticed there are to big holes cut int the fairing exposing the crankcase.... not to mention all the plasticwork I'm gonna have 2 go

Comment

Thats all personal choice right there. If its not too banged up and you want a more custom look, sand it down, put something nice on there and go to town. Some creative use of epoxy and fiberglass should would I would think.

Comment

Thanks! quick question, does anyone have any tips for painting the b*tch seat? the paint is starting to crack and fade

Comment

and can I clearcoat over stickers? or would that look terrible

Comment

Originally posted by sublimeload420 View Post
            Thanks! quick question, does anyone have any tips for painting the b*tch seat? the paint is starting to crack and fade
            buy a piece of vinyl and recover it.

Originally posted by sublimeload420 View Post
            and can I clearcoat over stickers? or would that look terrible
            yes, you can clear over stickers. many oem stickers have clearcoat over them. how it will look depends on the condition of the stickers to start with. new stickers are not all that much for new ones on bikebandit.
            Last edited by Mojoe; 07-30-2010, 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

depending how far u want to take it depends on what u do if u want to get it looking good again then u gotta do the plastic weld and never spot sand cause u will jack it up for further repair if u ever want to make it nice always block sand and if u repair the cracks and holes take those spot down to plastic use the good filler not bondo no bondo it will just crack again then block it out and prime it

Comment

I purposely clearcoat over stickers and decals to protect them. Like Mojoe said, bad conditioned stickers will look worse with clearcoat.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I wouldnt use fiberglass either...it doesn't flex the same as plastic so you're running the risk of cracks further down the road. The PO on my bike had used fiber glass and it ended up cracking horrible, so I had to sand it all off and then repair with an ABS epoxy.

Do you have pictures of what needs to be repaired? I just did a whole bunch of fairing work on my bike, so I might be able to offer some more specific advice if I see exactly what needs to be done.
                  Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                  '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Even bidirectional fiberglass will crack? I was under the impression it flexed more due to how the fibers ran. Omni directional is the stronger yet rigid one. Am I way off base?

Comment

Ive used fiberglass on boats and car audio , I would assume that both those applications require more from ther fiberglass than the fearing of a bike ( flex and vibration wise). Ive never experienced fiberglass cracking myself. Ive seen som stuff online but I think that was in relation to bad fiberglass work ( getting air bubbles in between layers or using too much hardener )

ive tried to break one single layer of fiberglass with resin on several occsions to test and it has never cracked until ive folded it completely. Id assume that 3-4 layers would withstand most stuff.

I woudnt think fiberglass was a bad idea. Id use a mesh intertwined fiberglass not the type that is just a bunch of fibers randomly put in a bunch.

with all of that said I have no personal experience with repairing fearings myself but I would just guess that fiberglass would do the job.
                      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
                      X