No announcement yet.
X

dented gas tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAAAAAAAAMN!! Make ya not even wanna Ride it !!! J/k, I've tried the (as seen on TV) Glue on dent pullers on my Gixxer tank B-4. And Just as youd expect.....It didnt work worth a crap! Tried compressed air as well to no avail. I Wound up just getting another one and selling off the damaged one to a stunter that just pounded the old one flat any ways.
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by thadude-who-wrestles View Post
      what is a slide hammer?
      A slide hammer is basically a weight on a rod. The weight can not come off of the rod. You attach one end of the rod to the dent, typically with a screw. Then starting with the weight down by the dent, you slide it to the other end of the rod. Repeat as necessary. It's also a useful procedure for removing bearing races, axles, lip seals, and just about anything that needs to be hammered out, and you can't fit a hammer into the space.

The only down side of slide hammering out a dent is that you now have one or multiple holes where the dent used to be.

That dent is big enough where it might be useful to put a hole in the opposite side of the tank and use a rounded drift to bang out the dent (with a sand bag), then finish it up on an anvil, and weld up the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
        That dent is big enough where it might be useful to put a hole in the opposite side of the tank and use a rounded drift to bang out the dent (with a sand bag), then finish it up on an anvil, and weld up the hole.
        Never thought of that, but could actually be a really good idea as you'll have to bondo or repair it otherwise anyway.
        2002 GSXF 750

Comment

bondo

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
          Never thought of that, but could actually be a really good idea as you'll have to bondo or repair it otherwise anyway.
          Never really tried it but Id have to say that bondoing a hole in the tank may not hold up. Good luck if you give it a whirl. Keep us posted on the progress please Im curious to see if it will work.
          Joker
          sigpic

Comment

Bondo is just used to smooth things out. I don't think he intended it to be used as a sealant, at least I hope not!

All holes need to be welded, just to make it clear. Then you can bondo over your welds to give a better surface finish, if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
              Bondo is just used to smooth things out. I don't think he intended it to be used as a sealant, at least I hope not!

All holes need to be welded, just to make it clear. Then you can bondo over your welds to give a better surface finish, if you like.

Exactly, you got my point. Don't think you can make that dent smooth without some bondo after banging it out.
              As you mention all holes have to be welded.
              2002 GSXF 750

Comment

If you have a friendly auto repair center take it to them. I had three dents removed from my TLR for 50 bucks. Took them about 20 minutes with one of those guns that welds a rod and a slide hammer. They even smoothed her out for me good as new. figured I would end up spending about that much in time and supplies if I tried it my self, and I would have done a half arsed job too.
                sigpic

Comment

i took the dents outta my tank by using a long extension for a 3.8 drive ratchet and raping the end with a cloth then tape that on and put it through the bottom fromthe fuel sending unit hole and taped it out with a hammer then slicked it with stripped the tank and painted it.

Comment

I got ya now

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
                    Exactly, you got my point. Don't think you can make that dent smooth without some bondo after banging it out.
                    As you mention all holes have to be welded.

OK my bad, I misunderstood the post. Didnt think that would work but im far from an expert on the matter. More like a Jack of all trades but the King of none!
                    Joker
                    sigpic

Comment

Your dent is too big for the dry-ice method, but has anyone else used that one? Cooling down so severly that it pops itself out? I've heard of it being done but never talked to anyone that has done it. Anybody? I know it has to be done on smaller dents. Here's a video I found.

[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/494805/remove_car_dents_with_a_dry_ice_block_www_mastrik_ com/"]Remove Car Dents With A Dry Ice Block Www.mastrik.com - Video[/ame]
                      Last edited by Sierraromeobravo; 06-03-2009, 11:09 PM. Reason: adding a link
                      Are we riding yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X