No announcement yet.
X

Using Electrolysis to clean rusty parts/tanks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, thats why I'm no chemist I just mentioned the salt thing because thats the way we do "electrolysys" for the purposes of creating H + O2. The salt decreases the electrical resistance of water allowing more current to enter, seperating the H from the O2 more effectively.

However mixed with the Bicarbonate I guess it has some bad side-effects.

I have my 24V setup almost ready to go, just need to get an anode now.
    Last edited by BV1; 06-18-2009, 10:52 AM.

Comment

So .....
      Are we are saying that this process will not harm petcock and fuel level sending unit if left in during this process?

Or should they be removed to avoid damage?

TIA

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Originally posted by jbo197 View Post
        So .....
        Are we are saying that this process will not harm petcock and fuel level sending unit if left in during this process?

Or should they be removed to avoid damage?

TIA
        Nope, won't harm them at all... Helps to clean them right up actually.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey ~
          You are the Man ......

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Nope, won't harm them at all... Helps to clean them right up actually.

Krey
            Had the same experience here, cleaned up all the rust on the fuel sender.

Steve

Comment

im working on an 81 yamaha maxim for my girl that was kept gas free off and on for 4 years it will live again

any one else getting green from there tank?

i might have to dunk the whole tank it would solve some of the other problems i need to fix as well thanks for posting
              Last edited by dragoncutlery; 07-16-2009, 10:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
              82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
              83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

Originally posted by dragoncutlery View Post
                im working on an 81 yamaha maxim for my girl that was kept gas free off and on for 4 years it will live again

any one else getting green from there tank?

i might have to dunk the whole tank it would solve some of the other problems i need to fix as well thanks for posting
                Yeah, I got alot of "green" looking gunk when it was wet... but when it dried it was definately rust looking.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

looks like the green was from the steel part i was using switched to stainless and it went away tried the old rod in a bucket of chemical water no rust and got the green again ?

Comment

looks like the green was from the steel part i was using switched to stainless and it went away tried the old rod in a bucket of chemical water no rust and got the green again ?
                    STOP!

DO NOT USE STAINLESS STEEL!!!!!

Let me repeat...

DO NOT USE STAINLESS STEEL, EVER!!!!

This process breaks down the rod you put in the water. Stainless steel contains chromium and other heavy metals, and this process will leach them out to create a very toxic heavy metal solution when the stainless steel rod breaks down.

We are talking enought to contaminate a 3+ block radius around your home very easily.

DO NOT USE STAINLESS!

Seriously guys... STOP over thinking this process, and stop swapping stuff out. Follow the instructions, and it's a safe, non-toxic process. I really don't want to read about your neighborhood overcome by chlorine gas (salt) or an entire neighborhood evacuated permanently as the goverment declares your homes a superfund cleanup site (heavy metal contamination in the water table).

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

i have an old gm plant behind my house i think its already a super fund site

Comment

i have an old gm plant behind my house i think its already a super fund site
                        Oh, well carry on then...

Krey

*edit* This comment is a joke, and not meant to remove the seriousness of my prior warning.... please don't use stainless or salt in the solution...
                        Last edited by Kreylyn; 07-24-2009, 01:51 PM. Reason: clarification
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

you guys are really creative

Comment

Krey

Just a public THANK YOU for the extensive posting on the electrolysis technique. My bike is down just now due to other work being done, but I took advantage of the time to clean out some light rust using the process. Wouldn't even have tried it without the guidance. So - thanks.

I don't plan to coat the tank with anything, I think I got on it with the rust just starting to develop. But I will temporary coat it as you advised. (2:1 gas oil mix)

Which brings up a question. Since I already have Mystery Oil on my shelf, what would you think of a 50:50 mix of motor oil / Mystery oil?

Thanks in advance.

**** Holzwarth
                            Dick H

"Well, my rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow...."

Comment

Originally posted by DHolzwarth View Post
                              Krey

Just a public THANK YOU for the extensive posting on the electrolysis technique. My bike is down just now due to other work being done, but I took advantage of the time to clean out some light rust using the process. Wouldn't even have tried it without the guidance. So - thanks.

I don't plan to coat the tank with anything, I think I got on it with the rust just starting to develop. But I will temporary coat it as you advised. (2:1 gas oil mix)

Which brings up a question. Since I already have Mystery Oil on my shelf, what would you think of a 50:50 mix of motor oil / Mystery oil?

Thanks in advance.

**** Holzwarth
                              The only reason I suggested gas was to thin out the motor oil a little so that it would be easier to coat everything. If you want to use pure oil, and have enough to slosh around to coat everything in the tank, go for it.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

i'm doing the electrolysis process on my tank and have a question. visually before i started there only looked to be slight surface rust in some spots but wasn't really that bad.

i've been treating the tank for nearly 2 weeks and still getting rust and a green colored crud. i never noticed the green stuff in the tank before, but now when i rinse the tank its there and wasn't before? anyone know whats going on?

Comment

Working...
                                X