No announcement yet.
X

Fixing the fairings.........with pics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CT that is some excellent work. A couple of questions for you.
    1. When you say weld do you mean that you took the soldering gun and put it in the middle of both sides of the crack and then put the ABS cement on the front and backside?

2. Is the Putty...BONDO or type of body filler?

My repairs are very very similar to your repairs. I have two small cracks,2 in. or less and trying to find the best way. Thanks.
    FROM WORK:
    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Originally posted by wyzat520 View Post
      Looks good, Ive done 3 bikes in the last two months. You should use 80 grit or anything less than 220. Ive been prepping everything with 320 if it was really rough, but mostly I just scuff with 500 then base over it. No need to go down to the plastic. You just need to get a scratch into the existing paint to adhere to basically.

I read somewhere up in the thread something about one shot cheap paint or something. Thats called single stage paint. Its not cheap and its got its pros and cons to basecoat/clearcoat. I personally think single stage paint looks deeper for solid colors.

anyway keep posting pics looks good.
      I used 60 and 80 on the first fairing because there was SEVERAL old paint jobs underneath. And the top layer was painted over sanding scratches, and it was as hard as a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
        Damn dude , you make it sound so easy . I've been thinking about just taking all my plastic bits to someone to have them do for me . I SUCK at that sort of thing .
        Dude it REALLY WAS THAT EASY. Use a normal, cheap soldering iron.

Heat it up good. Clean / sand the areas around the cracks you're fixing. Simply hold the soldering iron over on a spot and it melts the plastic together in the crack. "Stitch" it together like your were tack welding (not a continuous bead so as not to warp the plastic). Repeat on the back side of crack. Sand the repair on the front side, use some filler and get to sanding.

Comment

Thanks CT, should be ready this weekend after I pill the stickers off with some hot water. I Just wanted to make sure. I really like your work. Maybe I am wussin out, but I posted up on one of the local ATL. import sites for anyone that had leftover paint. To my surprise I had two guys to offer. One guy in particular said he had some left over Apex Blue from a S2000 and that he was a beginner painter and would paint my plastics for free as well as supply the paint. His only caution was that he was still learning and could not be blamed for any flaws. I figure it's worth the free cost.
          FROM WORK:
          "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
            Thanks CT, should be ready this weekend after I pill the stickers off with some hot water. I Just wanted to make sure. I really like your work. Maybe I am wussin out, but I posted up on one of the local ATL. import sites for anyone that had leftover paint. To my surprise I had two guys to offer. One guy in particular said he had some left over Apex Blue from a S2000 and that he was a beginner painter and would paint my plastics for free as well as supply the paint. His only caution was that he was still learning and could not be blamed for any flaws. I figure it's worth the free cost.
            Now THAT is a good deal. Even if he makes a couple of basic mistakes, it's ussually pretty easy to fix them if you catch them in process.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. My plastics won't be his first so I really am not worried. Just need to get those wheels off to paint also. Over the years the red wheels look pink now like they faded. Not sure if they actually were not pink though. Going to paint either White, Silver or Shiny Black...I like Shiny Black parts
              FROM WORK:

Comment

Sorry for reviving an old thread, and this is my first post.. but to save others some time, you do NOT have to take it all the way down to bare plastic / primer. Scuffing up the original clear-coat with the paint still on it (make sure it looks dull, not shiney) will suffice just fine. Scuff up the paint using 400 grit, then wash the fairing, clean it REAL good, use a tack cloth, then prime it. wetsand the primer with more 400 grit, then prime it again. It wouldn't hurt to use an adhesive promoter also!

Comment

Originally posted by Anthrax85 View Post
                  Sorry for reviving an old thread, and this is my first post.. but to save others some time, you do NOT have to take it all the way down to bare plastic / primer. Scuffing up the original clear-coat with the paint still on it (make sure it looks dull, not shiney) will suffice just fine. Scuff up the paint using 400 grit, then wash the fairing, clean it REAL good, use a tack cloth, then prime it. wetsand the primer with more 400 grit, then prime it again. It wouldn't hurt to use an adhesive promoter also!
                  If you read my posts in this thread, you'd see I only sanded further because of the crappy paint jobs already on the piece, and the fact sanding scratches were visible....

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                      If you read my posts in this thread, you'd see I only sanded further because of the crappy paint jobs already on the piece, and the fact sanding scratches were visible....
                      ahh ok, sorry. lol I read the first page and just posted =P

Comment

I may actually have time to prime and base / clear the spare fairings now that Summer Baseball season is over....Fall Season is not quite as busy...
                        Barely.

Back from the dead.

Comment

Did you buy a spray gun yet?
                          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                            Did you buy a spray gun yet?
                            Yeah buddy of mine scored me a nice touch up HVLP at a good price.

He said for motorcycle fairings he likes using the touch up guns better anyway (he paints for a living).

I've actually got some clear and reducer just need to pick up some base to start playing around with spraying the spare panels.

Comment

He said for motorcycle fairings he likes using the touch up guns better anyway (he paints for a living).
                              Do you mean the rattle spray cans?
                              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Yeah buddy of mine scored me a nice touch up HVLP at a good price.

I've actually got some clear and reducer just need to pick up some base to start playing around with spraying the spare panels.

Thats exactly what I used when I did my bike a month ago. Good luck!
                                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                                X