X

Where to buy paint?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy paint?

Does anyone have any recommendations for paint brands and where to buy them?

I got a quote from a local autobody supply house and it was going to be around $400 for what I need to paint my bike. I was looking to spend less, but all they have is high end automotive products.

I'm looking to do a basecoat/clearcoat paint job, but I want to use fairly inexpensive products.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'll be spraying with a gun, not rattle cans.
    Last edited by Dexter; 02-13-2009, 01:24 PM.
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

I've never painted my own bike but I know Autozone has a section where they carry small pints of automotive paint and clear coats. Don't know if you have Napa in your area but they also have paint supplies that should be less expensive than the high end stuff.
    We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

Comment

I would recommend autoair water based paints for the base colors, grafix/designs then an automotive 2 part clear (spray can or gun type).
      Its a lot cheapers this way
      Auto air paints cost aprox $10-$20 each depending on the size, spray can clear from Alsa or dupont will run you $40 per can.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

For my paint job, I went with Nason (by Dupont) from NAPA, inexpensive and the quality is darn good for cheap paint.

Quart of base and a half pint of base activator
        Quart of clear and a half pint of clear hardener
        Gallon of medium reducer
        Quart of primer and a pint of primer activator
        Quart of sealer
        = $269.29 out the door.

If ya don't shoot the sealer (I wouldn't again with this primer) you would save $27, and I ended up buying too much primer activator because I was too impatient to wait for them to order a half pint of primer activator so I ended up with a pint of it instead, so probably could save another $20 off what I paid.
        So for paint supplies alone in Nason you could do it up for around $230.
        Larger Canadian tires and Part Source carry paint too.

Hey Hardly, do you buy the Autoair paint locally?
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

The Napa on courtland ave in Kitchener also has a paint dept. or Britton Auto on Lexington in Waterloo(napa also)
          the problem with painting small projects is you usually end up buying more product than you need
          things like reducers, because they are in gallons
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Color-rite sells every thing in "mix together" batches. No idea if you can get it up there, but ran me about $300 USD.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

if you ever get uot to the GtA, PM me..I can get you sorted out with standox at a reasonable rate. Top quality stuff for little more than the cheap stuff.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Duplicolor Paint Shop. No mixing, no recoat min/max. Autozone carries it.
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
                  For my paint job, I went with Nason (by Dupont) from NAPA, inexpensive and the quality is darn good for cheap paint.
                  Was the quart size enough to do your whole bike? (such as for the clearcoat) The guy at the autobody supply house told me I'd need at least a gallon of clear... I kind of questioned that to myself after I left.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
                    Was the quart size enough to do your whole bike? (such as for the clearcoat) The guy at the autobody supply house told me I'd need at least a gallon of clear... I kind of questioned that to myself after I left.
                    Opps I was just reading off my original bill, I ended up buying 2 quarts (1/2 gallon) and still have about 1/3 quart left but I also painted my wheels and rotors.( more waste shooting them with big gun) I also shot three coats of clear with the pearl mixed in the first coat and two more coats to burry the pearl good. If I hadn't mixed the pearl in the first coat, I would have only shot 2 coats and I', pretty sure a quart would have done it.
                    The Nason clear is activated 3:1 so by the time you mix and load the gun you end up with a 1/3 more clear.
                    Maybe some of the other guys that have painted will chime in on the clear quantity.
                    One thing I'm real sure of is - you don't need a gallon of clear to do a bike!!

Originally posted by brooder View Post
                    Duplicolor Paint Shop. No mixing, no recoat min/max. Autozone carries it.
                    I think Canadian Tire carries that up here, and The Part Source carries Western.
                    Last edited by Astro4x4; 02-15-2009, 02:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Thanks to rexazz2 and Astro4x4 for the suggestion to check out the Dupont Nason line from Napa. I went to the Napa on Courtland and spoke with Jeff (Kevin was on lunch). I got everything I need for around $175 (except the pearl - which was way more than I want to spend) and the body filler (which I'm still trying to find something suitable for ABS)

I will be building a makeshift spraybooth when I'm ready to lay the BC/CC andI'll post plenty of pics.

sigpic

Comment

good to hear they took care of you
                        Jeff I would say is different????? not in a bad way,but nice kid
                        been out of that world for awhile, good to hear I still got some pull there
                        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Ok... watch my progress:

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

sigpic

Comment

I like PPG my local parts store has tons of paint on the shelf that
                            is mixed to the wrong shade. If your willing to compromise on a
                            specific color you could get the paint chea
                            p if not free for getting
                            All the other stuff in there store

Comment

for 150 you get all the things you need in ct and it will look good

Comment

Working...
                              X