X

Paint Booth........will it work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Booth........will it work?

Okay so my paint gun is on the way. (new Sharpe FX100 mini HVLP for $50). It should be plenty for painting my tank and fairings.

I'll be spraying PPG Shopline BC/CC.

I started doing some measurements to put together a makeshift paint booth in my 1.5 car garage...and I just don't think I have the room. It's also an ATTACHED garage so I would have to make sure fumes were well vented. Anyway..with so much stuff in the garage, plus being able to get my bike in and out (I'm getting spare fairings, tank etc to paint so I can still ride at the same time I'm painting) the BIGGEST I could go inside the garage would be maybe 7'x7'.

I think I could possibly get by painting one piece at a time in that space. BUT how feasible would it be to build something in my backyard that was temporary? Something that could stay up for a good while to get some painting done...

Meaning possible rain, colder weather etc.

I was thinking a 2x4 wood frame, say 10'x10' covered in plastic.

I think my electric oil-filled, radiator type heater would keep it warm enough..is that safe?

What about condensation etc?

I'm torn between that or building a 7'x7' (maybe even 6'x6' remember ONE piece at a time) PVC and plastic booth that would be in the garage.

Either booth would be sealed and would use intake filters and exhaust fans with filters.

What lights would be safe to use with either arrangement? I'm assuming that halogen "Work" type portable lights would be safer than those cheap fluorescent track lighting that plugs into an extension cord?

The largest piece I'd be painting (upper / main fairing) is @ 3'x2.5'
    In a smaller garage booth (say 6'x6') that would only give me roughly 1.5' of clearance around this part.

I could however hang the part, and possible turn it around when spraying the backside.with it hanging from a wire rig.

So you guys with experience in this type of project, chime in..............

Will the outdoor rig be able to hold up (weather etc)?

Is the cramped space of the indoor booth outweighed by it being indoors?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

I have seen stuff painted out doors , no booth at all and it turned out well

You need a really calm day, to avoid dust bugs etc

My self I would trust florecent lights over high temp halogens

You will not like the fumes in the house so I strongly advise against in the house garage

I would check with your local paint supply and ask them if they know anyone that may rent you some booth time
    The cost of building a one time use booth ,you may better spend on rent this time
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I'm planning to paint my panals at my work in the open shop without a booth. I'm not really sure how it's going to turn out... I was thinking of making a simple plastic hood / curtain that I can put the parts under while they cure, but I'll be spraying in the open air.
      My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Keeping warm air in the booth with fans blowing the fumes out will be a big issue if the garage is not heated.

Two 20"x20" furnace filters and a single 20" box fan will keep it well ventilated.
        I prefer to put a filter on the back side of the fan and blow clean air into the booth rather then suck air out through the fan motor (fire hazard)
        My last paint booth was 12'X 8'. Constructed out of 2"x4" and then "quick set up" kits with abs pieces for the angles and corners. I think it was a green house kit.. you can built it in an hour. Covered with heavy clear plastic sealed together with TUCK tape (not duct tape). Set up out side you don't need anything for lights, but you need warm weather.
        Mine was in a garage and I use 2) 4' floresent lights. hanging from the sides of the peaked ceiling so i got light from both sides not strait down.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I built a 14'X14' in my driveway with furnace filters and a box fan too. More room than I needed, but that's just how it ended up. Worked good but with the air movement you need to keep the fumes and condensation out you won't be able to heat it without some serious heating equipment. I did mine in the summer so no need to heat it
          You won't get by with 7X7 unless you do a couple of pieces at a time, you want lots of room to walk around everything with out touching or bumping another wet piece and lots of light so you can see what the paint is doing.
          Check this thread for my pics of booth.
          Last edited by Astro4x4; 02-13-2009, 06:48 PM.
          2000 Katana 600
          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

The garage isn't heated...but the weather is warming up here...and I probably won't be spraying anything for several weeks.

SPACE: I'm only doing one piece at a time....so I should have plenty of room. I will incorporate pieces in the booth so I can hang parts (and lights)

HEAT: I use a electric, oil-filled radiator type heater in the garage (Radiant) and it works well. I Think it would do the job inside the booth.....there is no open flame so I don't think it would be a fire hazard?

AIR FLOW: As small as my booth is going to be, I just can't see having air blowing IN, with my parts in the path of flowing air while I'm painting.

Anyway we'll see...I hope to mock up the measurements tomorrow and possibly pick up some PVC to mock up the first version of the booth.

Comment

We used a space in my friend's garage a few years ago to paint HIS bike . He got some large sheets of plastics and stuck them up from floor to ceiling (after the area was cleaned , of course) , and it worked out great . I don't see the problem .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
              X