X

Gsxr parts to a Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gsxr parts to a Kat?

Hey, Im interested in what others have done with Gsxr parts?

I have done;
    Gsxr forks 1100 on my 01' 600 and working on 750 forks in a 98' 600.

Im intersted in;
    Swingarms? can you just bolt up gsxr swingarms or do you have do do alot of modifying? I know you would need to change the suspension out/brakes and everything but Im interested in if you can do it?

I ask because my buddies got a wrecked gsxr and the swingarm/rear wheel suspension he isnt using!

the other thing i would like to know! Is it possible to just bolt up a kat 600 engine onto a GS 500 frame? Is there room on that frame. Or what about and old school late 70's early 80's frame for a Cafe Racer style?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Handydandy; 01-21-2009, 06:30 PM.

NO!! you honestly think a GSXR swingarm just bolts on? Look at the pivot bolt on a GSXR and look at the pivot bolt on a Katana, nough said.
    Last edited by arsenic; 01-22-2009, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      NO!! you honestly thing a GSXR swingarm just bolts on? Look at the pivot bolt on a GSXR and look at the pivot bolt on a Katana, nough said.
      I dont know thats why im asking! I dont have it infront of me! Ive seen someone on here do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Handydandy View Post
        I dont know thats why im asking! I dont have it infront of me! Ive seen someone on here do it.
        GSXR swingarms have a larger diam pivot, but you can sleave that to compensate, or drill out your frame.

You would need custom dogbones, and to figure out the right shape for them so that the suspension works right. One of the biggest differences... the links bolt onto the GSXR swingarm at the bottom, and on the Kats arm on the top so you have a major change in geometry there.

Take it from me... much easier to modify a Kat arm than to convert a GSXR assembly to work. Atleast, that is the direction I went in.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I dont know thats why im asking!
          I know that's why your asking, use a lick of common sense. Newer parts do NOT work on something that was designed in 88. I know you have a 98+, but it was still designed in 88. The 98+ pivot bolt in like 2mm larger then a pre.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            NO!! you honestly think a GSXR swingarm just bolts on? Look at the pivot bolt on a GSXR and look at the pivot bolt on a Katana, nough said.
            FFS the answer is YES If you get the right year gsxr swingarm you will need 2 small spacers & 2 bushes & a bearing spacer then you will need to make some new dogbones NOT a direct bolt on but easy enough to do

I'd never drill the frame at the pivot point as imo theres not enough material there to keep the strength & of course if you do this swap its much easier to use the complete gsxr rear end (again depending on year & model)

Tone
            Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

the other thing i would like to know! Is it possible to just bolt up a kat 600 engine onto a GS 500 frame? Is there room on that frame. Or what about and old school late 70's early 80's frame for a Cafe Racer style?
              I would say, no. Mounts will not all line up, even if any of them do- thus, welding.

And why would you even want to? You are re-inventing the wheel, here.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

There is a local shop here that does Busa swingarms with a busa rear tire on Katanas! I personally wouldn't wanna do it but th owner tells me he's done a couple. I personally have never seen it but I don't roll with the crews around here neither.
                02 Katana 600 R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                X