X

Panning new custom ABS pieces for a PRE

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panning new custom ABS pieces for a PRE

So I'm making a basic vac molding setup and am going to try and make an undertail and solo cowl. The solo cowl I'll probably design similar to the one's I've seen for the pre as they're pretty slick and simple.

The undertail I want to be a bit more complex though, and I'd love some feed back on my initial thoughts.

1) The undertail would have a scoop to it above the tire making the appearance that if the tail went that far down the tire would fit up inside it a bit.

2) I'd like to set it up so that the existing lights (turn sigs and license plate lights) can be used. The turn sigs amber plastics would be removed from the existing blinkers and mounted flush fashion. I'm still trying to figure out how to fit the license plate light, I might have to ditch that idea, and go with a possible integrated led solution.

Other than that, it would have a place to mount the license plate built in (likely utilizing the existing metal hardware from the scoop, but would be a complete chop except for where the lights and plate would be mounted.

Thoughts, Sketches, ideas? I suppose another idea would be to make my own light covers instead of using the existing amber covers, but I have a feeling the production costs would start to shoot up.

Also how many people would want one if it was cheap enough?
    Last edited by HexKrak; 01-27-2009, 02:37 AM. Reason: typo in title
    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

talk

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
    So I'm making a basic vac molding setup and am going to try and make an undertail and solo cowl. The solo cowl I'll probably design similar to the one's I've seen for the pre as they're pretty slick and simple.

The undertail I want to be a bit more complex though, and I'd love some feed back on my initial thoughts.

1) The undertail would have a scoop to it above the tire making the appearance that if the tail went that far down the tire would fit up inside it a bit.

2) I'd like to set it up so that the existing lights (turn sigs and license plate lights) can be used. The turn sigs amber plastics would be removed from the existing blinkers and mounted flush fashion. I'm still trying to figure out how to fit the license plate light, I might have to ditch that idea, and go with a possible integrated led solution.

Other than that, it would have a place to mount the license plate built in (likely utilizing the existing metal hardware from the scoop, but would be a complete chop except for where the lights and plate would be mounted.

Thoughts, Sketches, ideas? I suppose another idea would be to make my own light covers instead of using the existing amber covers, but I have a feeling the production costs would start to shoot up.

Also how many people would want one if it was cheap enough?
    you and i should chat

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WHO HOO what a ride"

Comment

My vacuum table is virutally done. Next I'll be focusing on making my molds. My mother has come to town for the week though and I'll probably not get much work done till she leaves next Wednesday. Things are looking on the up and up though

Comment

How about some pics of your vac table? I'm curious how you did it. Also, what are you using to heat the plastic?
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

Using my standard oven to heat the plastic. I'll snap some pic's and probably a short video when I'm doing my test run.

Comment

Things to consider...

Mold into the undertail a small drop section that you bolt the tag to and eliminate the hardware needed entirely for the tag mount.

Don't use the stock lighting system, use an inexpesive flush mount LED. You will end up with something that looks alot more profesional.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Things to consider...

Mold into the undertail a small drop section that you bolt the tag to and eliminate the hardware needed entirely for the tag mount.
              Krey
              This would be an interesting idea. Mold a lip of sorts. With enough space inside, you could keeps all bolts internal and even put wiring inside the plastic. Could probably do the same thing for the turn signals.
              -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Using my standard oven to heat the plastic. I'll snap some pic's and probably a short video when I'm doing my test run.
                I always thought about just using an oven, and making the frame fit in the standard racking, so it just slides in/out, but I'm already pushing my luck between building a motor in the spare bedroom, and using the dishwasher for a small parts washer, and tub/shower as a larger one. If I pushed it any further I'd be able to move into a house with a shop, although I'd then be single

Comment

That would work for an undertail or cowl. I found myself thinking of front fairings. A kitchen oven wouldn't be big enough for those (I don't think).
                  -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
                    That would work for an undertail or cowl. I found myself thinking of front fairings. A kitchen oven wouldn't be big enough for those (I don't think).
                    Pizza oven would be. probably not enough height to handle the droop when the plastic gets hot enough though.

Could always try it. Like Kramer, and his shirts

Comment

My vacuu-forming table got it's test run today. I had some technical difficulties with the plexiglass I was testing with, and didn't make anything useful (was just a test run/proof of concept on some rice bowls) but it WORKED!

I've gotta figure out the right temp to work the pastic with, I think I got it a little too hot and it started getting bubbles, but before I get to production I'll have worked out those issues.

Pics and video's soon to follow

And kitchen oven's are barley big enough for a 1.5' x 1.5' piece of abs (being 2'x2' standard) which is big enough for a solo cowl, but I'll have to make some... modifications to fit my 2.5'x1.5 for the undertail (which still might not even be big enough).

More to come! Stay tuned~

Comment

Good info. In case you're feeling industrious, a guy built his own heater on Instructables.com. http://www.instructables.com/id/Vacuum-Former/
                        -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Here's the finished practice run. I used two rice bowls for the test mold.

Here's what my vacu table looks like. The metal pieces are my frames which I suspend the plastic between. The two rods in the middle were just used as spacers, and under the frames is a rubber seal.

I did cut the bowls out of the sheet to see what it will take to finish each piece, and so far, so good, though I haven't taken pics of that yet.

My next run will hopfully be with abs instead of plexiglass and with an actual solo cowl mold instead of rice bowls! Also if I have my "assistant" (girlfriend) around I'll have her video the process and I'll youtube it.
                          Last edited by HexKrak; 01-27-2009, 02:30 AM.

Comment

wow - i wish i was that skilled or educated.... j/c - where did you learn all this? i.e. books, experience from job, class, et. al.

good luck with your project - i'll be following along this thread!

~wave~

mark

Comment

Everything I needed to know in life, I learned from youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X