X

Polished grab bar v2.0

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished grab bar v2.0

I posted a couple months ago, that I had stripped and polished my grab bar. Nothing new there on this board.

However, I repainted it a royal blue, because I was unhappy with the lack of luster in the polish. Well, I stumbled upon something yesterday, so I stripped the blue paint off with Laquer thinner and a sponge, and proceeded to repolish it. Anyone looking to do this might have already seen the many (and highly exceptional) posts detailing how to do it. I wanted to add one thing to the list of "how to's" in this instructional period. Harbor Freight Tools has a kittle kit on sale for about 5 bucks, comes with three sequentially sized buffing wheels, and two little blocks of "rouge." I HIGHLY suggest using this kit. DO NOT use the red rouge! Use the white block. I rubbed the white block directly onto the surface of the aluminum. I saw immediate results. It left a lot of "swirl" marks, but you can see the effect instantly, beneath the block residue. I used one buffing wheel (on my cordless drill) to remove some of the swirl, then went over it all again, in the same block to aluminum fashion. Used the second wheel just like the first. Finally, I applied Turtle Wax aluminum polish with a micro fiber towel, and rubbed two coats if it into the bar. Then I used the last buffing wheel to remove the turtle wax compund, and it took off ALL the swirl marks from both compound, and white rouge block. Awesome results! I will be doing this a few more times to the bar, over the winter. But even after one cycle, I can hold my hand over the bar, and see details of my fingers in it's surface.

Good luck with your mod!!
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

but thanks for the tool heads up
    so many roads so little time

Comment

Do you know the name of the "kittle" kit (I'm assuming you meant little)? The only polishing kits I can find that come with rouge is $15.

Is this it?
      Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
      Last edited by brooder; 11-22-2008, 07:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

nope. This one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98707

Well, at least that is what I used.
        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Brooder,

The kit you linked to IS the kit that I bought and used yesterday. Great results. I think your supposed to use the rouge differently than I did...but results, nontheless. Sasquatch's kit was at the store as well, but for the price, I went smaller. Though, his came with the gray rouge, which is another step, and would likely get a shinier finish, when used after the white rouge.
          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
          Semper Fi

Comment

Normally you apply the compound to the buff as it is spinning. Only use 1 buff per compound to avoid cross contamination and lots of headaches. I like to start with black to get everything nice and smooth and flat, then work down (brown then white). Make sure to clean with acetone or a degreaser between different compounds or you will get swirls and scratches from the previous and coarser compound.
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Thanks Astro. I'll do the cleaner between steps next time through. Is Laquer Thinner ok to use? I have a large can of it, and hate to waste it...
              ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
              チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
              Semper Fi

Comment

Opps, somehow missed your question. Ya, lacquer thinners are fine, you want to get all the previous grit / compound off so when you go to the next finer grit / compound you won't be putting scratches back into the finer polished surface. I haven't tried the Turtle wax aluminum polish, but after trying a few others I absolutely rave about Mothers Billet polish. Not saying there isn't better, but that stuff is awesome !!
                2000 Katana 600
                2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Ummm... I used that on my Used car rims on my camaro. I found a Mother Power Ball and some Mother Aluminium Polish work faster then anything. But that might be better that the App.
                  sigpic
                  Update Jul 11 2014
                  Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Originally posted by eviilil0ne View Post
                    but thanks for the tool heads up
                    Scout's polished grab bar:

2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                    Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                    "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                    Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                    Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                    "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Working...
                    X