X

Airbrushing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbrushing

Unfortunately riding season is pretty much over in my area. Meaning the bike gets its winter maintenance and gets put up in a warm shop. So... that also means all the time that I used to put into maintenance, riding, setting at a makeshift bike night and looking cool is now free. For about a year now, I've been trying various hobbies, learning guitar (didnt work out well), growing things (not weed, and it died), learning motorcycle mechanics (at least for the kat), and last but not least i've decided to try another one that has always sparked my interest. Airbrushing So, as a Newby to this hobby/art, does anyone here do airbrushing? Have any knowledge of a reliable, AFFORDABLE, starter kit? So far in my search, I've found this page, which contains some decent deals...
    Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

If anyone has knowledge of this, what paints work the best say if i wanted to do custom work on my fairings, or draw something on a liscense plate, something of that nature? would you pick it like you would if spraying it through a regular spray gun? Im seriously excited to try this, even if it doesnt work out for me, I think it will make for a good learning experience and something to consume my "cabin fever". Any input would be appreciated
    Thanks Guys! (and gals)
    Currently Riding:
    1995 Katana 600
    V&H Exhaust
    Jet Kit

SOLD
    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
    1987 XV700 Bobber
    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

seems like a quality little kit.....
    I would check ebay and yard sales....I found my spray gun unused still a package at a yard sell for $10.....waiting on G/f's dad to get back with air compressor to start playing with it....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

thats cool man, ebay just doesnt cut it for me though, since they dont neccessarily sell you something that works all the time, yard sales are done for the year up here (can tell your a fl boy) haha... but i think im going to delve into that, its got a warranty, and for the price seems like a deal.

The biggest thing thats going against me isnt the cost of the gun/compressor, thats usually a one time investment (unless your aspiring to become a proffessional) but the paint is EXPENSIVE and is a re-occuring cost, but i guess if it works out for me, it will be worth it.
      Currently Riding:
      1995 Katana 600
      V&H Exhaust
      Jet Kit

SOLD
      1987 XV700 Bobber

Comment

just roll with the cheapest crap you can find untill your rdy to get into a paint job or somthing serious....

When I get rady to start playing with mine, i'm gonna get the cheapest I can get....until i'm rdy to paint my bike

Not too expensive...here are whole gallons of paint for like $50 http://www.paintforcars.com/acrylic_enamel_paint.html
        granted you gotta have the clear, thinners, etc.
        Not too bad a gallon will last forever painting motorcycles...

Comment

Been looking into getting an airbrush set-up as well. I remember Badger from years ago, and the Iwata are high-end units. Guess it all depends on how seriously you are gonna delve into the hobby - for me, it would be used as a touch-up gun for my Kat as well as doing some designs on one or 2 of my lids. As I already have a production gun and touch-up gun, the airbrush would permit me to do some detail work, although I am no artist by any stretch of the imagination.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

richpen makes good stuff too, and for a good price. and if you put a richpen up next to an iwata they are very similar. i believe some parts even interchange. how to dvd's are a great tool too. good luck on your hobby and keep us posted.
            Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
            www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Paasche makes good airbrushes, and are reasonably priced.

As far as paint goes, I use DuPont Chromabase automotive paint, reduced as normal.

Have fun!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I'm gonna see if I can get reg. painting down great 1st then I might venture into airbrushing....see if i can make a few extra thousand a year doing that on the weekends and nights...Then if IT world just gets unbearable I can have a new job and own my own bis.

Comment

I do some bushing on the side and for fun it would say i am pretty decent. it comes and goes though i tend to go though stages of doing it but only when my personal interest is involved. i live in the south and i got tired of doing eagles wolfs and american flags and lighting and rattlesnakes over and over again lol completely not my thing. anyway this guy has some good basic tuts and a great video on equipment and maintenance and a basic kit. hes kind of douche-bag-ish but still very woth it you can learn alot from him

#3DPrinting, Model Airplanes, Airbrushing, and Spray Paint! Welcome to Commando Designs I'm Tony D. I'm a freelance designer who loves making stuff. On this channel we do awesome stuff like 3D Design, 3d Printing, Giant RC Airplane Models, Airbrushing, Spray Paint, and general Mayhem. I like making cool stuff and sharing my experience with others. I also like showing you all of the shortcuts and tricks that I've learned throughout my 25+ years of freelance design work. 3D Design / 3D Printing / RC Airplanes / Spray Paint / Specialty Paint / Custom Design Work / Design Software / Adventure / General Mayhem I say "Lets make some cool stuff!" Tony D. Commando Designs #3dprinting #3ddesign #spraypaint #airbrush
                  www.disruptstudios.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                    I'm gonna see if I can get reg. painting down great 1st then I might venture into airbrushing....see if i can make a few extra thousand a year doing that on the weekends and nights...Then if IT world just gets unbearable I can have a new job and own my own bis.

I do IT to... thats one of the serious reasons im trying to find a hobby.
                    Currently Riding:
                    1995 Katana 600
                    V&H Exhaust
                    Jet Kit

SOLD
                    1987 XV700 Bobber

Comment

hmm .. does airbrushing cakes in a bakery count ? that was always a fun part of that job
                      so many roads so little time

Comment

Originally posted by eviilil0ne View Post
                        hmm .. does airbrushing cakes in a bakery count ? that was always a fun part of that job
                        that's where i learned...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I hope you don't use base coat. Then again it might explain the loopyness. And I thought it was the sugar.
                          Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                          www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Originally posted by Disrupt Studios View Post
                            I do some bushing on the side and for fun it would say i am pretty decent. it comes and goes though i tend to go though stages of doing it but only when my personal interest is involved. i live in the south and i got tired of doing eagles wolfs and american flags and lighting and rattlesnakes over and over again lol completely not my thing. anyway this guy has some good basic tuts and a great video on equipment and maintenance and a basic kit. hes kind of douche-bag-ish but still very woth it you can learn alot from him

http://www.youtube.com/user/AirbrushTricks
                            Anyone reading this thread, You guys HAVE to check this out, I have to give kudos to Disrupt for the help, he breaks things down easy enough to give inspiration to someone that is unsure about the hobby. Thanks again Disrupt, and everyone else that replied here, still wanting to hear more though!
                            Currently Riding:
                            1995 Katana 600
                            V&H Exhaust
                            Jet Kit

SOLD
                            1987 XV700 Bobber

Comment

Working...
                            X