X

Painting Rims

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Rims

Can the rims be painted?? about how much would that run?

Yes they can. You should strip them and then paint them yourself then clear coat..but most here would recommend Powder coating them. PC is much more durable than paint..but talk to your local Powder coating place for details.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
      Yes they can. You should strip them and then paint them yourself then clear coat..but most here would recommend Powder coating them. PC is much more durable than paint..but talk to your local Powder coating place for details.
      Yep, PC will cost more then paint, but as Jax said, its MUCH more durable.
      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Powder coating is the way to go, but if you are going to paint them as I did, you need to use a primer made for bare aluminum or the paint won't stick worth a crap.
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I always though painted rims looks shaweet. I'd say go for it.

Comment

use a good acid etch primer on them. And make sure you use a good quality primer. ive used cheep acid etch primer and regretted it. Now i use the dupont name brand stuff. its a tad more expensive. still not bad. but seams to work a lot better. and it also dries a lot faster.

like others have sed. PC is by far better. but do you want to spend 150 bux? or would you rather spend 30 or so bux?
            Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
            6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
            5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post

Come on man thats what touch up paint is for.
              DON'T TAZE ME BRO DON'T TAZE ME!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 92katana600 View Post
                Come on man thats what touch up paint is for.

Powdercoat eliminates the need for touch up paint. It is nearly indestructable....paint scratches much more easily than pc. In order to get a scratch in pc, it has to be deliberate, whereas a scratch in paint can happen rather easy. (Crap on a rag, etc.) Well worth the investment for wheels, swingarms, forks, and frames IMO.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I used duplicolor rim paint, and it worked great. All I did prior to paint was clean the wheel really good, and paint away. No etching, no sanding.

Has held up well the last 3 years or so, no chipping or anything. Very easy to do, and cheap. 1 can will easily do both rims.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou View Post
                    I used duplicolor rim paint, and it worked great. All I did prior to paint was clean the wheel really good, and paint away. No etching, no sanding.

Has held up well the last 3 years or so, no chipping or anything. Very easy to do, and cheap. 1 can will easily do both rims.
                    how much mileage have you put on? How many tire changes? I'm guessing the rim paint is harder than their regular line of paint.
                    Last edited by chinto; 09-30-2008, 08:57 AM.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou View Post

I used DupliColor also. I cleaned the rims, then used the primer recommended, then painted away. Its held up pretty well.

... plus i think when you do it like this ... you have the option to paint it a different color whenever you want.

Comment

Couple tire changes, but I didn't paint my rims to give it a semi polished look cuz I painted them a dark color. Mileage, unknown. LOTS of miles though, I can tell you that much. Rode damn near all year long in Bama, and was down there for @ 3 years, and I also rode it before I moved to Bama up here in MN, so it has defiantely lasted. If a tire change did mess it up though, you could always touch it up.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Im going to paint mine when i take my swing arm and such off to paint them, if you use the correct paint, and do it right, it will turn out well, use automotive paint, not just spray paint, think of all the rocks that vehicles take in the front? how many of those chips if painted correctly? hehe, im painting mine pink .... JFTHOI
                          Currently Riding:
                          1995 Katana 600
                          V&H Exhaust
                          Jet Kit

SOLD
                          2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                          1987 XV700 Bobber
                          REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Polished and painted. No big deal. Just strip the paint with aircraft stripper.

Shared with Flock - The Social Web Browser
                            http://flock.com
                            Keep the rubber side down

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
                              Im going to paint mine when i take my swing arm and such off to paint them, if you use the correct paint, and do it right, it will turn out well, use automotive paint, not just spray paint, think of all the rocks that vehicles take in the front? how many of those chips if painted correctly? hehe, im painting mine pink .... JFTHOI
                              Duplicolor makes a actual Rim Paint, I think the stuff works fantastic.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X