X

Does this sound right to you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound right to you?

I have a friend who has a newer black katana. Its got 2 scratches on the one fairing, one is 1.5"x1.5"(multiple scratches) and the other is a similar area where he messed up the paint trying to remove the warning sticker. He stopped by a paint shop to get a quote on fixing it, and the guy told him if he pulled the panel off, he would fix it for $50, and you wouldnt be able to tell it was ever scratched. These bikes are base coat/clear coat enamel arent they? To do it right, you cant just spot sand/paint, and hope to rub out any over spray can you? If you painted the entire panel, you would have half that cost in materials alone I would think. Anyway, besides rattle cans, could a real paint shop fix this "right" for $50 and still make a profit? If you own a paint shop, tell me what you think. If you have had a similar fix, tell me what it cost you.
    thanks,
    Ken

I've bet $50 on dumber things before. Try it out.

Comment

For $50. What do you have to lose? Might be pleasantly surprised!
      2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
      BMC Notorious 918 HT
      2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

what do you have to lose it might look good
        sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

If the guy at the paint shops says he can do it, he probably can.
          2007 Honda CBR600rr
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
          sigpic

Comment

Im just worried that a couple scratches that arent so noticable could turn into a crap looking panel that ends up costing more to fix in the end. I hear what your saying Zepp. If he says he can, he likely can. If the guy paints for Autorama cars, Id tell him hell ya! If he works for Earl Shieb(spelling), Id tell him no thanks. I got hit in my one car, and the only damage was the clear coat chipped about 1"x3" on the plastic bumper. That ended up costing $300, cause they said you cant just fix that spot, you need to redo the entire panel. If spot repair was so cheap/easy, paintless dent removal would never have taken off.

Comment

As long as the paint still matches the rest of the bike, I'd go for it. He's probably using some sort of colored wax, but what do you have to lose?
              -
              -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Could be the shop has never done a fairing before and is quoting without experience. Or he just wants to build up a rep for doing bikes and giving a killer price to get the biz. At any rate I'd give it a go. Can't beat the price with a stick.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kenn1320 View Post
                  I have a friend who has a newer black katana. Its got 2 scratches on the one fairing, one is 1.5"x1.5"(multiple scratches) and the other is a similar area where he messed up the paint trying to remove the warning sticker. He stopped by a paint shop to get a quote on fixing it, and the guy told him if he pulled the panel off, he would fix it for $50, and you wouldnt be able to tell it was ever scratched. These bikes are base coat/clear coat enamel arent they? To do it right, you cant just spot sand/paint, and hope to rub out any over spray can you? If you painted the entire panel, you would have half that cost in materials alone I would think. Anyway, besides rattle cans, could a real paint shop fix this "right" for $50 and still make a profit? If you own a paint shop, tell me what you think. If you have had a similar fix, tell me what it cost you.
                  thanks,
                  Ken
                  Define "Scratch"

If it's NOT scratched through to the primer / bare plastic, he won't use any paint.

He'll wetsand / compound / polish the screwed up areas.

Comment

I havent seen it in person, here is one of the pictures.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Talk to Him

I'd talk to him and find out exactly how he plans to repair it. If you can run your finger nail along those scratches and it hangs up it's probably not going to come out with wet sanding and buffing. If he thinks he's going to spot and blend the area it WON'T be invisible. If he mixes his own paint it won't be too much in materiels, but he'd be supplying the labor for just about free.
                      I'm not a real Doctor.......but........I do play one in the back of an Ambulance

(<<< my BEST half!!)

Comment

Well he is getting it done, I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Comment

more than likely he will use light cutting compound and buff the area out. The scratchs will still be visable but vary faint
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X