No announcement yet.
X

permatex 5 min plastic epoxy review...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permatex 5 min plastic epoxy review...

Well I have tried just about everything to fix my plastics. The only thing so far that has worked was plastic welding. I decided to ride a few months with the fairings before I painted them. There is only one crack that cracked back out after welding so I decided to go the epxoy route. This Permatex 5 min. plastic epoxy can be picked up at just about any local automotive store. The package claims that it works well with ABS and starts to cure after 5 minutes. Also on Permatex's web site, they claim that it is sandable and fileable within 15 minutes of application. Heres the low down. I V-notched the crack and cleaned it up with some alcohol. I had about an 1/8th inch gap to fill in some spots so I decided to mix the entire syringe. Once mixed, it's consitency is comparable to that of caulk. I was hoping it would mix a little thinner as too seek it's own level and fill all the little nooks and crannys. I applied it liberally to the crack and smoothed it down into place. It's really quite easy to work with. After 5 minutes, the epoxy hadn't even set up a little bit. After an hour, the surface of the epoxy was starting to set. I let it sit over night, still not quite as hard as I would like it to be. It was definitely cured but it is still kind of flexible almost like hard rubber. It does sand and file quite well once cured. Seems to be pretty dam strong as well. I'm really not a fan of how rubbery it is though. I guess that only time will tell how truly effective it is. Had I had to do it all over again, I would have tried a different kind of epoxy. Just a word to the wise, if you use this product, make sure that you have an area where the fairing will not be disturbed for at least a day because it takes that long to cure. This is just my experience with the product. I hope this helps somebody out there.
    Some people carry on
    Some just stay right where they are
    Our worlds divide

you want it too be as flexible as possible, thats a good thing If it's brittle it'll crack again.

Comment

I have also used this stuff and as far as i can tell it's pretty good stuff. I had a few long cracks in my tail section, and i "V" notched the inside of the fairing (after taking it off) let it sit overnight and it did it's job. I put it back on and have had no problems as such. What i was really worried about was using my bungie net on the back, since it really strains against the tail section, especially when i have something big under it. But so far it has held like a champ. That's just my input. Good stuff
      Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Comment

Well it has sat for about 4 days now and seems to get progressively harder. It is tough as nails. Quite surprised that it got harder considering that the manufacture states a complete cure time of 7 hours. I think it was worth waiting for it too cure. It's really quite amazing once cured. I can flex the fairing to the point that I'm afraid the actual ABS will crack and not really worry about the epoxy.
        Some people carry on
        Some just stay right where they are
        Our worlds divide

Comment

sounds like either you got a bad batch or it was not mixed enough

you should only mix up 1/4 of a tube at a time and mix it very well. when you think you have mixed it enough nix it more.
          it should be set within 5-10 minutes very hard within 30 minutes and easily workable at that time.

I had a bad batch a few weeks ago while working on my VT600. no matter how long it sat (2 days and it was still kinda rubbery. I cut it outm got a another tube from another store and it worked like a champ
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Epoxy is generally intended to bond surfaces together, not to be used as a filler. Most products by Permatex (Loctite) are very good. It doesn't surprise me that it took so long to cure and harden, it sounds like you had a fairly large and deep repair. I'm glad that all is well now, I'll remember this if I ever have the need.
            Thanks for the original post and update.
            sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Working...
            X